Looking to get back in the addiction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Long story but the short version is that I was a pretty heavy member here 5 or so years ago, made a bunch of pens, sold a few. Life got in the way, there was always more month at the end of the money etc....etc. I sold everything I had here on the forum and never really looked back due to work and family obligations.

Well fast forward 5 years and I really want to get back into turning. While I would love to go with a large full size lathe the reality is that I'm working with an 11' x 17' area in the basement which is neither easily accessible or large enough for the true size lathe that I would like to purchase. I'm currently leaning towards the Nova Comet II deal that Rockler is currently running $499 with a free G3 chuck. I know I won't be turning giant bowls or platters with it but I think it will do for what I need to do.

Are there any pluses or minuses for this lathe in particular? Other than the attractive price is there any reason that a delta from Amazon or Rikon or the like would be better even though they cost more?

I guess is there anything I'm missing that would make this not a good purchase?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Don't have any experience with the lathe but the chuck is 100.00 accessory you still have to buy with with the others.

Robert Taylor

Welcome back. I am still turning pens on your old Penn State midi. I would avoid that Nova like the plague. Our turning club bought ten of them and they are not anywhere near as good as the Jet midis that they replaced.

jleiwig

Welcome back. I am still turning pens on your old Penn State midi. I would avoid that Nova like the plague. Our turning club bought ten of them and they are not anywhere near as good as the Jet midis that they replaced.

Bob! I'm glad it's still serving you well! I had a Jet before the TurnCrafter, and there was definitely a difference. I would love the Jet VS, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of cash. At that point I'm only a couple hundred from a real full size lathe.

Is the Nova better than the TurnCrafter? That will at least give me a measurable comparison.

Gunnarkouper

Passed Away Sep 21, 2018
In Memoriam
Nova II lathe

I just bought the same lathe from Amazon and saved sales tax. By the way Amazon backs the unit with their guarantee also which I considered to be a plus. I buy a lot from them because the closest wood store is about 100 miles.
It was delivered in four days. Lathe is fantastic, very tight and dead on right out of the box. The drive belt appears to be a semi-transparent plastic of some kind and makes a little noise. Hopefully it will go away with time.
I like the fact that it is reversible, comes in handy. One main consideration for me was that the tightening handle for the tailstock was parallel to the bed and easily accessible and not perpendicular to the bed and in back of the tailstock. I have arthritis in my right hand and it makes it very easy to tighten down the tailstock.
I have not used the chuck yet but will shortly.
My previous lathe was a Jet 1014.
Variable speed is the only way to go!
So far I would give it a 5 star rating.

chet0213

I just bought the same lathe from Amazon and saved sales tax. By the way Amazon backs the unit with their guarantee also which I considered to be a plus. I buy a lot from them because the closest wood store is about 100 miles.

It was delivered in four days. Lathe is fantastic, very tight and dead on right out of the box. The drive belt appears to be a semi-transparent plastic of some kind and makes a little noise. Hopefully it will go away with time.

I like the fact that it is reversible, comes in handy. One main consideration for me was that the tightening handle for the tailstock was parallel to the bed and easily accessible and not perpendicular to the bed and in back of the tailstock. I have arthritis in my right hand and it makes it very easy to tighten down the tailstock.

I have not used the chuck yet but will shortly.

My previous lathe was a Jet 1014.

Variable speed is the only way to go!

So far I would give it a 5 star rating.

I have the nova loathe and have been using it for about 1 year. I had one issue with it starting intermittently and contacted nova. They were quick to answer the phone and sent me a replacement control board. Accurate lathe that has served me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Kloss

I have been using the Comet II for a year now. I had my problems and the customer service from Teknatool was excellent. But honestly, I wouldn't buy it again.

Mikeyt

I have the lathe from rockler with the G3 chuck. I have had it for about 6 months and have no issues with it. I had a Rikon VS before. So I like the VS with this lathe and the reverse is really nice. For the price it is a great deal. I turn mostly pens with it. My only complaint is the tail stock only fully extends about an 2"s so when I am drilling my pen blanks I have to move the tail stock a few times. But it is really quiet and centered right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom