Looking for double twist transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've got a collection of pens that I have either taken apart, or have failed in one way or another that I use to make new pens from, often mixing and matching hardware. The most common problem I have during disassembly is removal of the transmission assembly.
Can someone please point me in a direction where I can find these mechanisms?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Vince - As far as I know, only Berea Hardwoods makes and distributes a double-twist pen kit. You might call them (in Ohio) and see if the sell transmissions separately.

its_virgil

The Woodcraft Stores here in Texas carry them in 5 packs. I could not find them on the website. If Berea Hardwoods does not offer them, call Woodcraft. But, I'll betcha Berea HW will come through.
Do a good turn daily1
Don
Originally posted by Vince_Hoffmann

I've got a collection of pens that I have either taken apart, or have failed in one way or another that I use to make new pens from, often mixing and matching hardware. The most common problem I have during disassembly is removal of the double-twist assembly (single twist assemblies are no problem). The double-twist is very fragile as you all know and I've had less than stellar success in saving these pieces.

Can someone please point me in a direction where I can find double-twist mechanisms?

Originally posted by its_virgil

The Woodcraft Stores here in Texas carry them in 5 packs. I could not find them on the website. If Berea Hardwoods does not offer them, call Woodcraft. But, I'll betcha Berea HW will come through.
Do a good turn daily1
Don

Actually, Woodcraft was the first place I checked but they only stock the single twist mechanism. I need the larger double twist found inside the Wall Street II, Hart double twist and the Atlas.
I called Craft Supply and they can only get them in batches of 500 from their supplier.
I'll give Berea a call and see if they can help.

That's a good idea Bob.
I called Berea and they sold me a dozen transmissions at .75 each. I could not get a clear impression from the gentleman I was speaking to that he understood that the mechanism I wanted was for their Sierra kit, but I'll know what I purchased soon enough!

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Vince_Hoffmann

That's a good idea Bob.
I called Berea and they sold me a dozen transmissions at .75 each. I could not get a clear impression from the gentleman I was speaking to that he understood that the mechanism I wanted was for their Sierra kit, but I'll know what I purchased soon enough!

Not sure if I understand you here as well, but the Sierra is not a double twist pen, its a single twist.

You guys are correct, my mistake for writing this without first checking my parts![:I]

Either way, the transmission for the WS II / Sierra is what I was able to purchase from Berea.

follow3

Hey All,

Not trying to steal your thread... but I have been thinking lately about starting up a little business online, just selling pen parts. I was thinking of trying to get with the manufacturers and buy parts in bulk and sell them on all the forums. Offer single parts for any kit...for occasions just like this one.

What do you all think, would it be a good idea?

Steve

jcollazo

Originally posted by follow3

Not trying to steal your thread... but I have been thinking lately about starting up a little business online, just selling pen parts. I was thinking of trying to get with the manufacturers and buy parts in bulk and sell them on all the forums. Offer single parts for any kit...for occasions just like this one.

Steve, do your research, contact the manufacturers and distributors, but most importantly... consider the amount of money that will have to be invested in this project. I've tried, others have tried, this is not an easy thing to do unless you have DEEP DEEP pockets and don't expect to see a return on investment for a long time. I will tell you that slimlines, comforts, euros, and cigars are somewhat easier than the high end kits. I

f you feel you can do it, go for it.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader

Hey All,

Steve

Sounds good to me, but I agree that it would take some investment. Most of the places I've been able to find require minimums of about 500 pieces.

I must have a few dozen pens in pieces. They collect in a drawer till I can put a full kit together.
(cigar pen center bands .. you could make a living selling those to me. HA!)

Hey All,

Steve

I'd love to find a source for the threaded insert that the Euro style finial stud screws into (both 7mm & 8mm). As well as transmissions for cross, parker and mini style refills. when making rifle cartridge pens with a bullet nib, I don't need the center band or the nib and clips and tubes are readily available a la carte.

Success ! Well... not the double twist part (that was my mistake)

Taking Lou's tip, I called Berea and purchased a dozen twist transmissions that fit the cigar pen and Sierra and they appear to be compatable with the Patriot as well. I'm happy! :D

Top Bottom