Looking for Diamond wood blanks/Tips on Frig magnets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

Anyone know a source for those wood blanks that have layers of dyed wood. I think they call it diamond wood. I am looking for blanks that are 1.5" square. I looked at Pen State Ind and they want about $4 per 2.5" bottle stopper size blanks. Looking for the best $$ to ratio blanks I can find. What I am wanting to make with this wood is some magnets for the refrigerator. I have never made any. I think they are an inch in length but I do not know what size to make the diameter and what size earth magnet to use, any tips on this also?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Anyone know a source for those wood blanks that have layers of dyed wood. I think they call it diamond wood. I am looking for blanks that are 1.5" square. I looked at Pen State Ind and they want about $4 per 2.5" bottle stopper size blanks. Looking for the best $$ to ratio blanks I can find. What I am wanting to make with this wood is some magnets for the refrigerator. I have never made any. I think they are an inch in length but I do not know what size to make the diameter and what size earth magnet to use, any tips on this also?

Thanks.
Here's a tut from the library!
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/fridgemagnets.pdf

jskeen

I have found that the 1/4 inch magnets are ok to use if you are going to leave them exposed, but if you put anything over them to cover the endgrain and cushion it, the strength drops off quite a bit. Was I ordering them again, I would step up to the 3/8" magnet. For turning, I simply drill a hole a little over 1/2" deep with a #1 drill bit and thread the blank onto the tip of my pen mandrel. Test yours to see what size drill bit makes a hole that is just right to thread onto the end without splitting that really cool acrylic cutoff you are planning to use. DAMHIKT The 1/4" magnets just press fit into this size hole for me. If I was using the 3/8" I would just add a countersink when drilling the initial hole. A layer of thin leather or felt finishes them off nicely.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

I've made them with pen blank cut-offs. Don't want them very big or stick out to far. I've been using magnets 1/2" dia. x 3/16" deep. Drilled the hole about 2/16" or there abouts deep.

Everett

actuall maker of dymond wood

Here is where most of the dymond wood is actually made that the vendors we use purchase from. Only down fall here is no retail store and you have to purchase a full sheet. http://www.rutply.com/ They also can make custom colors.

refueler1

I have found that the 1/4 inch magnets are ok to use if you are going to leave them exposed, but if you put anything over them to cover the endgrain and cushion it, the strength drops off quite a bit. Was I ordering them again, I would step up to the 3/8" magnet. For turning, I simply drill a hole a little over 1/2" deep with a #1 drill bit and thread the blank onto the tip of my pen mandrel. Test yours to see what size drill bit makes a hole that is just right to thread onto the end without splitting that really cool acrylic cutoff you are planning to use. DAMHIKT The 1/4" magnets just press fit into this size hole for me. If I was using the 3/8" I would just add a countersink when drilling the initial hole. A layer of thin leather or felt finishes them off nicely.

Are you talking the strong earth magnets or those little black magnets?

I was thinking that a finished frig magnet would be like 1" L x 3/4" dia and using an exposed magnet of 3/8th".

jskeen

That is the 1/4 x 1/16 rare earths, got them off feebay, 50 for $5.45/free shipping. If I was doing it again, I'd go with 50 of the 3/8 x 1/16 for $9.45/free shipping.

Are you talking the strong earth magnets or those little black magnets?

I was thinking that a finished frig magnet would be like 1" L x 3/4" dia and using an exposed magnet of 3/8th".

refueler1

That is the 1/4 x 1/16 rare earths, got them off feebay, 50 for $5.45/free shipping. If I was doing it again, I'd go with 50 of the 3/8 x 1/16 for $9.45/free shipping.

1/16" sounds kinda thin. Are there thicker 3/8ths earth magnets?

Top Bottom