Looking for Desk set kits....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

Found some at PSI and Rockler, but I think the funnels only fit smaller slimline and comfort pen kit. I figure there must be more option out there. Anyone know of a good source? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I use the "plugger" bit from Lee Valley. It cuts a tapered hole just the same angle as a pencil sharpener sharpens a pencil, which happens to be the same angle as a standard ballpoint pen point. You can drill the hole directly into the wood and the pen will fit securely in th hole. If you drill it deeper, it gets larger in diameter which accomodates the larger pens.

I cut a slot in a block of wood to hold business cards, then turn it and drill a hole with the plugger bit to hold the pen. You can make it as simple or fancy as you want. You don't have to turn it, you can make it rectangular or square, or any shape you want, with more than one pen hole, and a brass plaque, if you like. I have made them with turquoise inlays.

IMG_2296.JPG

Last edited:

its_virgil

Make you own. I like to use black acrylic acetate which is a Berea blank (possibly others) and sold by those who resell Berea products: Arizona Silhouette or BeartoothWoods but Ed at Exotic Blanks may also have it....surely Dawn makes a nice black PR blank or any color you may want.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Found some at PSI and Rockler, but I think the funnels only fit smaller slimline and comfort pen kit. I figure there must be more option out there. Anyone know of a good source? Thanks.

islandturner

I use the "plugger" bit from Lee Valley. It cuts a tapered hole just the same angle as a pencil sharpener sharpens a pencil, which happens to be the same angle as a standard ballpoint pen point. You can drill the hole directly into the wood and the pen will fit securely in th hole. If you drill it deeper, it gets larger in diameter which accomodates the larger pens.

This one? (seen here http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317,54864)

05j6205s2.jpg

Me too. The smaller of the two will ream a tapered hole up to 3/4" diameter at the top -- more than enough for any of the kits I use...

Steve

Timbo

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might get that bit for future use. However, for this particular project, I think a brass or chrome finish might look better.

titan2

This one? (seen here http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317,54864)

05j6205s2.jpg

Me too. The smaller of the two will ream a tapered hole up to 3/4" diameter at the top -- more than enough for any of the kits I use...

Steve

Nope.....looks like this is what she's referring to:
Be sure to start the hole with a 1/8" bit.....

va101g1b.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10254&cat=2,42706,40719

Barney

Last edited:

bradh

The are good ideas, I plan to pick up one of those bits next time I am at Lee Valley.
I usually just drill a stepped hole with two different bit sizes. Adjusting the size of the bits and the depth you can create a decent holder for any size pen.
I also have a screw countersink bit that works OK for holding a pen. The bit is similar to this:

http://www.leevalley.com/EN/wood/page.aspx?p=44708&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1
The angle of the countersink is not correct so the fit is not great. I have reground the bit and improved the angle now.

Attachments

• 66j4008c.jpg
    66j4008c.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Dan_F

Sure wish someone was still making the large ball and socket type joints like this one from Wahl Eversharp.

Dan

Attachments

• 2011Mar23006a.jpg
    2011Mar23006a.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 160
Top Bottom