Looking for a certain color blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Checked lots of the standard places and I've sort of found what I'm looking but maybe there are other sources.

Looking for a high school graduation present for my nephew who is probably going to Rice.

So looking for a blue and gray blank. Also I would like it to be a natural blank. So some sort of stabilized wood.

Oh and I'm not too concerned about a perfect match.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Last edited:

plantman

You might try using Blue and Gray Alcohol dye/ink to blend your own blank. Any craft or hobby shop should have it. Try it on scrap pieces of the same wood to see what results you can get before putting it on your main blank. The alcohol dye acts more like a tint and does not hide the grains of the wood. Jim S

chartle

You might try using Blue and Gray Alcohol dye/ink to blend your own blank. Any craft or hobby shop should have it. Try it on scrap pieces of the same wood to see what results you can get before putting it on your main blank. The alcohol dye acts more like a tint and does not hide the grains of the wood. Jim S

I'm assuming this is after turning and sanding and before finishing and doesn't require a vacuum pump or pressure pot.

I already have the Adirondack dyes that I have used for casting so I may give it a try.

Any particular wood? I'm assuming it shouldn't be anything stabilized.

plantman

I'm assuming this is after turning and sanding and before finishing and doesn't require a vacuum pump or pressure pot.

I already have the Adirondack dyes that I have used for casting so I may give it a try.

Any particular wood? I'm assuming it shouldn't be anything stabilized.

Cliff; That's correct, after turning and sanding. What I have done in the past, is make a sample board and apply the different dyes to it to see how it reacts to the grain of the wood. You can make it lighter by wiping more dye off sooner, or make it darker by not wiping or recoating with dye. I also use the blender in order to make the colors run together more smoothly or lighten them. If you use a wood with a deep grain, like oak, you can dye with blue first, lightly sand to bring back some of the natural oak, and than use the gray over the top. This makes a very interesting blank. Stabilized woods can be dyed, they just won't absorb as much dye, but you will still get a surface tinting effect. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom