looking for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwpenworks

General question here. Some time ago I bought a black crushed velvet pen blank from the local woodcraft here in town. I have went online and am having a hard time finding these things. I just got around to turning this for a Christmas gift and noticed it turned out really pretty and now I can't find it for sale. If anyone can give me a link to these things or an idea where to get em I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwpenworks

woodwrite seems like the place that would have it, but they are also unavailable there as well. I googled it also. Are these things really not made any more?

Last edited:

dwpenworks

I have to go to the UK to get these things? The other problem here is I don't believe those are the same type as what I turned. The woodturners catalog and the woodwrite place, that was the right blank but the UK sight... I think thats a different blank.

dwpenworks

I appreciate the help. I need the help that's why I posted on here. This blank really is very nice. But I think I know whats happened. These blanks have gone by the wayside with the influx of all the home made stuff these days. If anyone can find them I would really appreciate it, I just can't seem to find them. And I really don't think there is anything quite like them out there. Somebody prove me wrong, I tripple dog dare you.

dwpenworks

woo hoo, Thanks to a suggestion from Fritz over at Woodturningz I think I have found something close to a match on these things at HUT. What do you all think? Am I seeing things or do I need to stick my tongue to the flag pole?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Crushed velvet is no longer available---the original was made in England and has not been made for about a decade.

LOTS of "knock offs" have been made---some are better than others---NONE are the same as the original.

Also, the original was only made 5/8" thick (at that time, we made smaller pens).

So, yes you can find a "look alike", but no, there is no place to find the original.

dwpenworks

Ed, that explains alot. This was a 5/8 blank. It also was the first blank I ever bought. I never used it because it was unusually small. I showed my selection of blanks to the customer and she wanted that one. So I of course used it thinking I could just get another couple later, but when I started doing my searching much to my dismay I could not find them. HUT makes a close resemblance but the one I had was black, HUT does not offer one in black. I know this has been a long story. I have not seen the beauty of this blank portrayed anywhere on the IAP. It really does look when finished like crinkled up velvet and I do hope one of the resellers on here will get it made again, start manufacturing it, and I will be the first bulk buyer of this stuff. Sorry for the long post, it makes me sad that I have lost supply on a truly wonderful blank.

warthog

Dang...if it is that important to have this very same thing...why don't you try making your own. You know what goes in them...so make them...can't be that hard.

arioux

Well if you guys are all nice, Santa might bring up 4 of these rare blanks for grab in the birthday bash daily contest :)) (2 green and 2 brown). These are the original ones !!!

Thanks for the idea :)

dwpenworks

warthog, I could try to copy these things but I know there is no way I could duplicate it. I have looked at many of the casts done by other members and while good they don't come close. I will post a picture of the pen I did out of this blank, maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. Alfred forget the contest, I could use a present under my tree tomorrow. But I'll wait for the contest, Thanks.

Woodlvr

I may have some that I got from Woodwrite awhile back. Let me check the shop, I hope that I can make you eat your dare, :eek::wink::biggrin:

jchurch

Hi David, you're right about the look of crushed velvet, and like you, I've been on a quest to find them as well. It really is too bad that they are no longer manufactured. While there are lots of very cool blanks out there, crushed velvet is really one of the very best. Maybe someday someone will produce it again.
here's hoping,
Jim

Top Bottom