Looking for a better lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

UWCBrad

I tried to find a category on wood lathes, but could not, so here it goes.

I have a used Harbor Freight bench top lathe that works OK, but, is not what I would like to work with.

I have been looking at the Grizzly G0462 and the Jet 1221VS, Problem is I am not sure what I really need.

Am looking for pen making, bowls, and the occasional table leg. One gripe I have with the HF is the 1/3HP motor which makes turning a stop/start nightmare.

Any advice on a good lathe that has the power and the size but not the high $ tag?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

I'm not familiar with the Grizzly offering, but I can tell you that the Jet 1221VS can easily handle pens and most bowls. For table legs, it would have to be a pretty short table. For that, you'd need a lathe with a longer capacity. The Jet has a gentle start, so it kind of ramps up to speed and doesn't just hit full speed right off the bat. Being able to dial in different speeds has been a huge help. Changing the belt to different speed ranges is not that big of a hassle, either.

farmer

I tried to find a category on wood lathes, but could not, so here it goes.

I have a used Harbor Freight bench top lathe that works OK, but, is not what I would like to work with.

I have been looking at the Grizzly G0462 and the Jet 1221VS, Problem is I am not sure what I really need.

Am looking for pen making, bowls, and the occasional table leg. One gripe I have with the HF is the 1/3HP motor which makes turning a stop/start nightmare.

Any advice on a good lathe that has the power and the size but not the high $ tag?

Large bore headstock
Router mounts
1350.00 bucks without live cutter
1750.00 with live cutter and mounts << everything cuts like butter with a live cutter .
1.5 in spindle bore
44 inches between centers
24 position indexer
You can pick the lathe up with one hand
Doesn't have auto feed but It can be added on or the 600. bucks more and you cana put stepper motors on and make it into a CNC.
110 ac/dc motor.

UWCBrad

Let me guess, wanting the distance between centers knocks me into a higher $ bracket?

I see some lathes that have add on extensions. Are these good or bad?

Is a 1HP the minimum for a decent lathe? or is it more a matter of quality?

I see the Rikon and Nova lathes with 3/4HP.

I guess I don't really know what I don't really know.

Charlie_W

If cost is your primary issue, this will give you a larger lathe for your dollar.

However.....this lathe looks to be a "Reeves Drive" lathe...variable or 10 speeds as it states. It has a limited speed range 600 - 2400. A slower low end speed will be desired when you turn bowls from out of balance rough blanks. The other lathes run up to 3200rpm.
Also, I see that it has a 1"x8 spindle thread as is used on mini and midi lathes.
Kinda small for a chuck or faceplate with a 16" bowl.

Jet and Rikon could be good choices in the midi range. I feel the Comet would be a good demo lathe as it is 3/4 hp with a 12" swing but is lighter to lug around than a midi. I still prefer the Jet or Rikon midi lathes over the Comet.

You can jump up to a Nova 3000 or a DVR. If you want to get to 16" diameter.

Many folks will advise to buy your next upgrade lathe now...meaning save up and get the one you would get when you outgrow the one you are looking at now.

If you feel certain that 12" is as big as you want to go, check out the
Oneway 12/24. Also, Robust now has the Scout which I believe is 14".

I would go for variable speed if at all possible. An extension bed can get you more length for that table leg.

You have many choices....Good luck

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

The 'problem is that you want to be able to do it all. Bowls and table legs require capacity both ways. So you're looking at either a midi with an extension or a full sized lathe. My advice would be wait for a sale or used and get a full size lathe with electronic variable speed. Or if bowls will be small and perhaps less often, get a midi like the jet or rikon and add an extension when the need to turn legs or something longer comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer

Midamerican lathes

Let me guess, wanting the distance between centers knocks me into a higher $ bracket?

I see some lathes that have add on extensions. Are these good or bad?

Is a 1HP the minimum for a decent lathe? or is it more a matter of quality?

I see the Rikon and Nova lathes with 3/4HP.

I guess I don't really know what I don't really know.

I have 1/2 hp motors on 3 of my lathes , but I have a veneer trimmer mounted on the tool post .
all woods cut like butter you could turn the lathe by hand .

Dan Masshardt

HP is not really an issue with pens. It's not a huge issue with spindles but might be a limiting factor for roughing big / long spindles.

HP is a real concern / benefit when it comes to roughing larger bowls. Personally if you want to turn bowls, I wouldn't settle for less than 1hp, preferably more.

I stepped up from a HF 10" to the Rikon 12" swingover. The difference is night and day! It costs less than the Jet 12" and imo is just as good when you compare horsepower, capacity, etc. The variable speed is so much nicer than constantly switching pulleys, and reverse makes sanding & finishing easier since I like to do these on the top of the spindle instead of underneath. My only gripe would be that I still have to change the belt to drill or sand as most my turning is small spindles using the highest speed pulleys. It 's built pretty solid & seems to be fine so far with up to 8" bowls. I plan to turn a lot more bowls - and larger ones too - but will wait until I can spring for a fullsize lathe. The Laguna 18" is on my wishlist for a fullsize.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You mentioned bowls. Not everyone gets into them but I think most people do. Watch out. I have a 12 inch Rikon. 12 inches is the max size roughed in. I sure wish I had an outboard turning head or at least 14 inches.

While reeves drive, which is a varible speed transmission of sorts, is on the Grizzly lathe, it is good and acceptable, but an EVS speed control is more expensive and usually a better lathe overall. If you truly get into turning on a regular basis, you will enjoy the EVS. If you only turn on weekends. The Grizzly is the way to go. It will allow you to swing the head and turn the occasional larger bowl.

If I were only interested in pens, I would go with the Jet, but for long pieces and larger bowls, the Grizzly would be the choice for its versatility.

I am in fact looking at the Grizzly myself. It will be my third, and first spindle and bowl lathe.

Redbeer

My brother in law just purchased his first lathe this evening. A 12" Turncraft Commander from Penn State. It looks like a pretty well designed lathe and a 1hp motor, variable speed. I've seen some pro's and con's for them, but it looks like a pretty nice little setup. Little over $500 dollars for the lathe and the starter kit.

Skie_M

My Harbor Freight Mini Wood Lathe (8 x 12) has done pretty well, for the price I got it at .... waited for a 25% off coupon and scored it for 104 dollars after tax. It's got a 3/4 x 16 headstock (3/4 inch bolt threads with 16 teeth per inch pitch ... you can buy nuts that fit this at places like Atwoods and Farmer's Supply Co.) which is on the small end of fairly standardized lathe sizes. The other thing you need to know about the spindle and tailstock centers are that they are Morse Taper #1.

This is smaller than MT2, and sometimes it's difficult to find accessories to fit it at a reasonable price... make sure that you get accessories that will fit whichever lathe you end up with in the end.

My lathe came with a 1/3 HP variable speed motor. It hasn't let me down much at all, though sometimes I wish it had a BIT more power to it ... I am still not planning to upgrade from this lathe any time soon, as it fills all my needs at this point. It spins as slow as 250 RPM, which I like for applying CA for my finish, and goes up to about 3600 RPM for my final polishing ... most of my actual lathe work is around 600 RPM for roughing, up to 2000 RPM for balanced turning between centers, 500 - 1000 RPM for sanding. The dial control is VERY convenient and at this point I have no intention of ever buying a lathe without variable speed control, even if I have to retrofit one into an existing lathe. (There are kits out there that can do exactly that, with replacement motors and controllers.)

It is capable of turning a SIX INCH or so bowl blank, and things up to perhaps 13 inches long between centers. I say six inches, not eight, because you'ld need a perfectly round blank centered exactly on the spindle to be able to turn it without hitting the ways, plus you'll want clearance of some sort under the spinning blank so that you can move the banjo around. 90% of my turning is pens, keychains, beads (from leftover cutoffs), and the occasional small box/bowl and plate. One of my recent projects was a 5.5 inch wide key/coin plate for dropping off my keys and emptying my pockets by the door when I come inside ... made from a 1/6 Eastern Redwood Cedar board section. I had to knock the corners off and then mount it on my glue block and turned it. It came out quite nicely ... I left the underside unfinished so that it still has that Cedar smell! :)

I can do a spindle, as I said, up to 13 inches long ... but I've never put anything on the lathe much over 9 inches. Mostly just to turn it round and true it up ... mark it and cut it for small boxes.

All that having been said, you can see that my lathe is working pretty much well within my capabilities and needs. For a 100 dollar lathe, it's working way better than expected. I do still have issues with the tailstock slipping, so I keep a bar clamp across the ways just behind the tailstock to limit any slippage, and that's worked quite well for me.

If I plan any possible upgrade to this lathe, at this point ... I would probably just spring for the midi upgrade kit from PSI. They have a 1/2 HP motor with speed controller for around 150 dollars which looks decent. Another possible plan would be the same upgrade kit, but applied to the larger benchtop lathe from Harbor Freight... I'ld have to get 1x8 and MT2 accessories for it, but being able to turn larger things doesn't necessarily mean that I'ld do a better job at making small items than on my smaller lathe already.

I know this is a pretty long and detailed post, but I hope that it gives you some direction on what to really look for in a lathe "upgrade" for the future.

Last, but not least ... when I'm ready to take the plunge ... I plan to actually MAKE my own lathe, similar to one made by Matthias Wendel, but with a variable speed control system.

Dan Masshardt

For me this has been a matter of you don't know until you know.

I thought evs wasn't necessary until I got it. Now I wouldn't be without it.

I was happy turning decent sized bowls on my jet 1221.

I wanted to turn bigger Bowls so I got a jet 1642.

One of my chucks had the insert for the smaller lathe on it recently and I figured I'd just put this 10" bowl on the 1221. Turned about 30 seconds then took it off and put on the big lathe.

Once you get used to the weight and stability of a big lathe, you won't want to turn a bowl in a midi.

But if all you've ever used is a midi you'll be fine and likely happy enough.

WriteON

LATHES.... CPO has 15% off sales Black Friday if you can wait. A few years ago I bought the Jet 1015vs and 2 years later a 1221vs. If you can wait for the sale and spend a little more than you wanted to these are great lathes that will last for
years.

UWCBrad

LATHES.... CPO has 15% off sales Black Friday if you can wait. A few years ago I bought the Jet 1015vs and 2 years later a 1221vs. If you can wait for the sale and spend a little more than you wanted to these are great lathes that will last for

years.

What is CPO?
Thanks

Top Bottom