Looking for about 8 pieces of Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rbruce2u

Hi to all;

Was hoping that someone had a lead on some really nice Amboyna Burl. I have been asked to make 6 Jr. Statesman pens for my neighbor, and just in case 2 extras. I tried E-Bay but have a hard time with determining quality from the pics. Thanks in advance for the help. When they are done I will try my hand at some photos to post.

All the best;

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

You can try cookwoods, and gilmerwood.com they have some really nice pieces. also woodturningz has some. They may be out of stock though.

edstreet

Amboyna burl is *THE MOST EXPENSIVE* wood on the planet. Padauk tree (Pterocarpus spp.) , nara, etc. Many of the above listing sites will have WET wood so you must be very careful when dealing with that aspect. Buying wet wood is fine if you are planing on kiln or air drying it, I would never use chemicals to dry rare exotic wood. Make no mistake about it, this is a rare growth found on a rare tree in very remote parts of the world and elephants is used to haul them out of the forest. The burl itself is often very small 20-30 kg and many places will use the root and list it as burl, as often seen with walnut burl.

Some similar type woods. stabilized spalted and dyed Birch burl, Afzelia burl, Teak burl, Asian Beach burl, Plum burl among others. Also redwood burl is somewhat similar but quite different. Of all of these Afzelia burl is much easier to get, it's quite ecologically stable and not endangered.

The other thing you should watch out for is the home stabilizing setups. If you are going to buy exotic rare wood then make sure it is professionally stabilized as the home remedy's is not sufficient nor up to par, many/most will use chemicals that will adversely affect either durability and finish; and some of the 'stabilized' chemicals are not even stabilizers at all. Better yet just buy the raw wood and stabilize it yourself.

OH the last area I was going to mention was TWO TONE. Many burls will have sapwood inclusions in random layouts, are you looking for heartwood only or two tones?

Last edited:

rbruce2u

Thanks for the help and Information

Thank you all for the help with the information and dealers names. I have placed an order with " Bad Dog Burls". I also placed a couple bids on E-Bay, I have a stabilization chamber from Curt and would use Cactus Juice. Of course in looking on E-Bay I also found some other great burls and had to bid on those too. A dangerous location for me!! Anyway just wanted to say thanks to everyone.:biggrin:

All the best;

Bob

crabcreekind

Amboyna burl is *THE MOST EXPENSIVE* wood on the planet. Padauk tree (Pterocarpus spp.) , nara, etc. Many of the above listing sites will have WET wood so you must be very careful when dealing with that aspect. Buying wet wood is fine if you are planing on kiln or air drying it, I would never use chemicals to dry rare exotic wood. Make no mistake about it, this is a rare growth found on a rare tree in very remote parts of the world and elephants is used to haul them out of the forest. The burl itself is often very small 20-30 kg and many places will use the root and list it as burl, as often seen with walnut burl.

Some similar type woods. stabilized spalted and dyed Birch burl, Afzelia burl, Teak burl, Asian Beach burl, Plum burl among others. Also redwood burl is somewhat similar but quite different. Of all of these Afzelia burl is much easier to get, it's quite ecologically stable and not endangered.

The other thing you should watch out for is the home stabilizing setups. If you are going to buy exotic rare wood then make sure it is professionally stabilized as the home remedy's is not sufficient nor up to par, many/most will use chemicals that will adversely affect either durability and finish; and some of the 'stabilized' chemicals are not even stabilizers at all. Better yet just buy the raw wood and stabilize it yourself.

OH the last area I was going to mention was TWO TONE. Many burls will have sapwood inclusions in random layouts, are you looking for heartwood only or two tones?

alot of people use white glue and water. to stabilize, which does somewhat help it not fly apart. It does not make it turn any better, or make it more dense and polish better.

RickLong

West Penn Hardwoods I've bought from a lot of different places online. West Penn Hardwoods has never let me down (including amboyna). I order from them at least once a month (fwiw).

GL

Rick

chrisk

Amboyna is a wood which IMHO doesn't need any stabilization. From "Bad dogs burl source" I purchase only non stabilized amboyna blanks.

Top Bottom