Look what I got today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

It's 100-102 degrees today, but it feels like christmas to me. I picked up my Paul Huffman vise today and was I ever thrilled. I got to meet and get to know Paul for a while. He's a great guy and I really enjoyed our conversation. He showed me around his workplace. I've got to say he works with some really complicated looking equipment. It was really neat hearing and seeing how some of the stuff he makes is made. I'd like to say thanks Paul, it doesn't get any better.

200781520368_Vise.jpg

2007815203618_Vise2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Thanks Les. I tried, but just saying Christmas hasn't made it any cooler here in the shop! Was fun to meet, and put another face with a name from the group. Belated congrats on the new little one!

Chasper

Do the blanks have to be perfectly square or round to use a vise like this? It seems like you would have to move the vise around on the base if the blank was rectangular.

I'm pretty sure that of my total time spent on the major labor components of making a pen (drilling, gluing in tubes, milling, turning/finishing, assembly) I spend the most time drilling. This is a nice looking tool and I'm sure it would speed up the process.

C

les-smith

Chasper,

No the blanks do not need to be perfectly square. My old vise was a cheapy Woodcraft model. The grooves that the blank sits in are basically the same as Paul's vise. One of the many bonuses of Paul's vise it that you will undoubtedly get a better squeeze with it. So with that being said, I drill wood dowels that I use to make pens all the time with a pen vise. I've also turned a lot of rectanglular blanks that I've cut up myself. When I use a rectangular blank I mark on corner that goes in the groove and I make sure that the mark is always orientated on the same side of the vise. That way everything lines up good. Hope that makes sense, if not e-mail me and I'll try to explain it better. I clamp my vise to the drill press table and it never moves once it is clamped down. If you aren't using a vise don't buy a cheapy Woodcraft model. Save your money and buy Paul's it is by far going to be the best you can get. I've basically wore my Woodcraft vise out, but Pauls vise will last many many years if not indefinitely.

PostalBob

I got mine and I am HAPPY, Did a 4 hour stint in the work shop and all I did was drill blanks, with my new toy. Thanks Paul you have a great product.
Thanks Postalbob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom