loofah Sponge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner

I searched this and found where people were trying to make a loofah sponge pen back in July and September. I did not see any pictures or evidence that this worked. With all talent in this group, I'm sure someone has been successful at making one of these. It just piqued my interest as I was in the dollar store and saw some and though it kind of looked like the cactus pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

I saw one someplace. I don't remember where though. Looked decent, and for my money, I'd rather buy one of those than have to clean up the cactus.[xx(]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here you go:

20071183525_Loofa1.jpg
<br />

Here is a close up

20071183556_Loofa2.jpg
<br />

I posted these back in Sept or October. It was made with Alumilite urethane resin rather than PR since that is my resin of choice. The tube is painted dark blue and the resin is clear.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Definitely the cactus. The loofa is more busy and consistent whereas the cactus is more random and interesting, IMO. Both are cool but everyone who has seen both side by side prefer the cactus by far. Then again, the loofa is a lot easier to get for the average person and a lot less work to prep for casting.

JimGo

Thanks for the feedback. From the pics I thought the cactus was a better looking pen too, but had to ask. I agree about the availability of the loofa for folks wanting to try it!

wudnhed

I'm wondering if the loofah would be easy to dye since it is a sponge. Then I'm thinking if you make the tubes a different color, you might have some nice combinations, possible?

Actually a Loofah sponge is plant material from the luffa gourd...

This is article from Wikipea...
The luffas (from Arabic #1604;#1608;#1601;; also spelled loofah or loofa) are tropical and subtropical annual vines comprising the genus Luffa. The fruit of at least two species, L. acutangula and L. aegyptiaca, is grown to be harvested before maturity and eaten as a vegetable, sometimes called Chinese okra, popular in Asia and Africa. L. acutangula is also known as Ridge Gourd and is called jaati lau in Assamese, si1gua1 in Mandarin Chinese, jhingey in Bengali, turai in Hindi, heeray kAyi in Kannada, wetakolu in Sinhala, patola in Tagalog, and kabatiti in Ilocano, gambas or oyong in Indonesia. The fruit of L. aegyptiaca may also be allowed to mature and used as a bath or kitchen sponge after being processed to remove everything but the network of xylem. This version is called dhundul in Bengali, ghiya tori or nerua in Hindi or "peerkankai" in Tamil or "beera kaya" in Telugu......

I like the uniqueness of the cactus... although the pens loofa pens are pretty.

Tanner

Thanks Curtis, the pen looks great. I also like the look of the cactus better. You really are an artist with this type of pen. I think the Loofah looks awesome too. I may give this a shot when I get the guts to try making my own blanks.

JimGo

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I had been toying with the idea of using a sponge every time I take a shower.

Why, wash cloths and those lather-making "puffy" things aren't sufficient? Besides, sponges get cold really quickly - I don't imagine it would be comfortable.

wudnhed

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />Actually a Loofah sponge is plant material from the luffa gourd...

This is article from Wikipea...
The luffas (from Arabic #1604;#1608;#1601;; also spelled loofah or loofa) are tropical and subtropical annual vines comprising the genus Luffa. The fruit of at least two species, L. acutangula and L. aegyptiaca, is grown to be harvested before maturity and eaten as a vegetable, sometimes called Chinese okra, popular in Asia and Africa. L. acutangula is also known as Ridge Gourd and is called jaati lau in Assamese, si1gua1 in Mandarin Chinese, jhingey in Bengali, turai in Hindi, heeray kAyi in Kannada, wetakolu in Sinhala, patola in Tagalog, and kabatiti in Ilocano, gambas or oyong in Indonesia. The fruit of L. aegyptiaca may also be allowed to mature and used as a bath or kitchen sponge after being processed to remove everything but the network of xylem. This version is called dhundul in Bengali, ghiya tori or nerua in Hindi or "peerkankai" in Tamil or "beera kaya" in Telugu......

I like the uniqueness of the cactus... although the pens loofa pens are pretty.
It's still a sponge, LOL!

smoky10

Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />I'm wondering if the loofah would be easy to dye since it is a sponge. Then I'm thinking if you make the tubes a different color, you might have some nice combinations, possible?
I did a Google search on loofah sponges and read that it will take dye easily. The article said Rit dye would work mixed with water, let it soak longer for darker colors, then let it dry completely and it will hold its color.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have not tried dyeing any loofa since that was the only one I have done. That said, I wonder if it will penetrate? Cactus skeleton will "take" dye and will look all nice and colored but it does not penetrate. Then when you turn it, you expose the inside of the skeleton that did not get dyed. I would think loofa would be better, though, since it is less "woody" than the skeleton.

wudnhed

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />
<br />I'm wondering if the loofah would be easy to dye since it is a sponge. Then I'm thinking if you make the tubes a different color, you might have some nice combinations, possible?
I did a Google search on loofah sponges and read that it will take dye easily. The article said Rit dye would work mixed with water, let it soak longer for darker colors, then let it dry completely and it will hold its color.

HMMMMMMM.........interrrrrrrresting........verrrrry interrrrrresting!

M

Mudder

<br />
Originally posted by smoky10
<br />

HMMMMMMM.........interrrrrrrresting........verrrrry interrrrrresting!

I made a pen with Dyed loofah in late October but Curtis beat me to the punch. Mine took dye completely through because I used vacuum first and then pressure but it was sold before I could even get a picture of it.(it actually sold before I could get it off the mandrel). I have never seen a cactus pen first hand but I must admit it does look better than loofah. (BTW...I got my loofah at Wal-Mart. The biggest ones seem to work best) Another thing that looks pretty good is Reindeer moss and that can be had from Michael's or any well stocked craft store.

underdog

Hmmmmm.....

Has anyone tried that honeycomb material they're using for aircraft, boats, and insulation panels for refrigerated stuff? I hear it's a bear to cut on a CNC router, but if you filled it with a resin, I bet it would cut great! Don't know how it would look though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom