Longhorn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crickett

I know there is Indian water buffalo horn in blanks for pens, which I've used ... what about Longhorn cow?
Has anyone ever made a pen from it, is it available to purchase?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think that's against NCAA rules, I know they are doing rotten in football right now, but wanting to make a pen out of them...I like the idea, don't get me wrong...

el_d

I have seen some at Tandy leather supply, They are small and not much meat on the tip.

Maybe cutting and wrapping the horn around the tube, but there will still be a seam to deal with unless it could be hidden?

penmaker1967

i used reg cow horn but it is very layerly and very hard material but makes a very nice pen sorry for the double post thought it did not go through

juteck

I've turned the end cap and buttons for a friend who has made powder horns with them. The horn is hollow with a solid tip. The solid tips might be 3 or 4" long, but tapers to a small diameter on a curve -- much like the tip of a deer antler. Depending on where you cut it off, the larger diameter might be 5/8" or so. A sierra blank might be possible from one -- I think I have a tip around here that I can measure later today.

If you find a full horn, insert a metal coat hanger to measure down the hollow to the solid part, and transfer that measurement to the outside of the horn and mark it where you want to cut it. Use a hack saw, the prep the blank like you would antler for turning. It smells bad -- not like antler, or your worst nightmare at the dentist, more like bad foot odor. It will take a great shine, and if you find one with nice color variation, I'm sure it will add more character than a plain black one.

Edited to add photo and measurements:

This tip is 4" long, and about 7/8" at the cut end. At 2.5" from the cut end, the diameter is 1/2".

Attachments

• horn-tip.JPG
    horn-tip.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Chasper

I've been making corkscrews out of the Longhorns for a while. I raise a breed of minature longhorns just for the smaller horns.
http://namlha.com/

Attachments

• Longhorn.jpg
    Longhorn.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom