longevity of box elder red color?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KP

Folks -

I could have sworn I'd seen a thread on this here at some point, but I can't seem to turn it up. I've had some box elder sitting around for along time, just recently got to cutting it up, and just finished a pen which turned out pretty nicely, so I'd like to make some more. But, since I usually give my pens as gifts, I'm wondering how long the nice color will last. I assume faster change if it sits in sunlight, but are we talking as fast a color change as, say cherry or purpleheart which change in days, or is this a months to years change? And, how does the color end up?

Thanks -

Ken

Attachments

• P3070005.JPG
    P3070005.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

You really had the answer yourself.
Sunlight----will change the color of just about any wood.
The more sun the faster the change.
I have a vase turned from BoxElder that is three years old and still looks fine.
Not as sharp as the day it was turned but still very nice.

marcruby

Bin Pho once suggested that if you really like the red color in a piece of wood you should get an airbrush and go over it with paint or dye.

Marc

Dario

Bin Pho once suggested that if you really like the red color in a piece of wood you should get an airbrush and go over it with paint or dye.

Marc

In the same line...I read that all wood will turn gray overtime. Speed does vary depending on finish, sun exposure and wood type. That is why most bowl turners wisely give more emphasis on shape and form.

In the same line...I read that all wood will turn gray overtime. Speed does vary depending on finish, sun exposure and wood type. That is why most bowl turners wisely give more emphasis on shape and form.

Well, hmmmm. Maybe in 100s of years would a finished piece of wood, not directly exposed to the elements, go gray. We have several 'country' walnut and cherry pieces from the early 1800s that are still beautifully colored. However, they have been indoors and out of direct sunlight for most of the time. On the other hand, any wood left on a beach will pretty quickly look like driftwood.

I thought I read here somewhere that most people will lose a pen (even an expensive one) within a year or so? I doubt one could change color too much in that time frame!

We use for inside furniture a cab acrylic ( sherwin williams paints ) and for outside stuff a west system epoxy uv inhibitor ( woodcraft ) which we get great results. It usually says you have to spay- but we wipe with rags, or brush when we want and works well, other than the strong odor they both have. We had a customer order a set of purple heart garden chairs which are still beautiful and they sit on day and night - year after year in the sun in NY city.

Top Bottom