Longer Drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kinger

Is there any of the vendors here that sell longer then the standard drill bits I did have a long 7mm bit but a dang operator error put that one out of order, and last week I ordered some stylus kits and a new drill bit and the bit is shorter then what the blank needed is tried turning it around and drilling from other end and that doesnt really work how I want it been just cutting tube down to shorter size and making them a little smaller then reccommended

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Colt drill bits are a lot longer and more expensive. The last time I bought one was about a year ago and both Rockler and Woodcraft were having a hard time getting them because they were on a lenghtly backorder. Hope they don't have that problem anymore because they are great bits. Other than that you might try Fastenal if you have one in your area.

Curt

Kretzky

I have a 4 or 5 Colt bits, they are a little more expensive but boy are they worth it! I have never used bits that cut so quickly & so cleanly.
I have heard that Colt have become victims of their own success & have been unable to keep production up with demand.
Lee Valley do a 'set' specifically sized for penturners, other than that I don't know where you can get them.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=45150&cat=1,330,43243

Last edited:

juteck

I have a couple of colt bits also,and they work great in everything except wood. They have more flex in them than a standard jobbers drill bit, due to their parabolic design. With more flex in wood, they tend to follow the grain a little more, leaving you with an off center hole at the deep end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Randy Simmons

They beat me to it on the colts!

Definitely an investment I should have made sooner. They are about 6 inches total length. Never had them clog, blow out a blank, and they barely even heat up. You can drill five inches of solid plastic in one quick pass

Charlie

I to had an operator error, called not chucking the bit right in the drill press chuck , and broke my 6 in long 7mm drill.

I also ordered the wrong drill from pen state PK7mm. The 6in long 7mm drill bit is # PKGG7 7mm HSS Gorilla Grind Drill Bit $ 7.95.

Hope this help. Charlie

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How long do you want?

I just looked at our drill bits and could only see a need for a longer one for the "clicker" or the zen (both 3/8") What are you making, and what length bit would be ideal, please?

Tom T

Okay I have Colts also they are the best for sure. I can get them stuck in acrylic very nicely.
Have Done it more than once.
Most commercial nut, bolt and fastener suppliers carry many different grades of bits and lengths. WC told me they could not get colts any more. I have not had good luck with the wood river bits. They run a lot hotter.

Top Bottom