Longer dead center?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Has anyone heard of a longer dead center?

I turn between centers, and today I was thinking it would be nice to have more space between the headstock and my work.... it would also make room for the tool rest to fit in there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Marc, I've never seen a longer dead center but why not invest in a smaller tool rest?
I used one I'd cut to about 4 inches until just recently when I bought one of the round modular set ups from Johnny CNC. At 3 1/2 inches long it's perfect for turning one barrel at a time. The advantage of the modular system, you can get longer tool rests and simply change out the rest when doing longer turnings. Johnny's are nicely made and very reasonably priced.

philb

I'd also like to know if there available. As a smaller toolrest would be good but the problem with having to be close to the head us that my variable speed handle is rightvin the way! Si could so with moving 2-3" away from the head!!

I have seen a longer dead centre in a CA tutorial but I think it was a homemade one?

Phil

Texatdurango

Can't come up with an answer for a longer dead center other than getting a #1 morse taper center and putting it into a #2 - #1 converter, which might stick it 1/2" farther but that wouldn't buy you much!

I favor what has been mentioned above... a shorter tool rest. In a post last year I noticed Rick Herrell making some custom tools from steel so I PM'd him asking if he could make me a tool rest and a few days later I had the one shown below, made to the exact length I wanted. Turning between centers is a breeze.

Rick sells these on the forum at hard to beat prices, here is the thread in the classifieds... http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52175

Attachments

• toolpost2.jpg
    toolpost2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 255

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
There's definetely a market for longer ones, that's for sure. Maybe we can convince one of our toolmakers to sell them.
I use a long brass shaft that I've put a point on and just clamp it in my chuck.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Taig lathes use a long live center that can be used in a 1/2 drill chuck. I believe it is just under .500 and 4to 4 1/2 inshes long it uses roller bearings. About 16.00 + shipping. the trouble is its not totally accurate, the more things you put in there and the longer it is the more variance you have. Although it may be close enough for your purpose. I use it for things that close is good enough. There definetly is a need for a standard live center body housing with an extended center. I havent found one.

philb

The picture I was looking for is in the IAP LIBRARY.

Check out the article:

Making and Using Dead Centers
By Hank Lee (80K PDF)

Additional Keywords: lathe, 60 degree, live

Now if i could get one similar to that, with a MT1 or Mt2 taper that would be perfecto!

PHIL

Marc Phillips

Thanks all

I guess what I am really trying to accomplish is a couple of things.... I would like more room away from the headstock, and I really like my Robust tool rest... I have a smaller modular tool rest, but it doesn't lean in toward the work piece the way the Robust does....

I could get the extension, but I am worried about wobble....

Yep... need to find a tool maker!

Thanks all.... appreciate the help

philb

Did you try the article i posted? is that what your after?

As i think an extension might get some wobble, and that's what going mandrel less is trying to counteract!

if you find anything, let me know! Im looking too!

workinforwood

I have a dead center that is at least 10 inches long and it's a 60, but it's MT3. Thing looks like a missile and weighs maybe 10 lbs? I don't think they make them that big for the smaller machines though. I put this dead center of mine in a safe place, because it could do some serious damage to a foot!

seawolf

What about getting a MT adapter to mount a drill chuck and have it turned to a 60 degree point at a machine shop. Adds about 3 inches.
Mark

Top Bottom