Long/one piece wood pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmegow

I've seen several versions of long/one piece wooden pens. Mostly modified slimlines.
I'd like to try some. I got my blanks stabilized ready to go and realized I have no 7mm Drill bits long enough to drill it out.
(I am sure y'all don't drill from each end and try and meet in the middle)
Where can one get 7mm drill bits 7/8" long. I tried my usual sources, no go.
Looked at McMaster Carr down to local Ace hardware :at-wits-end:
Any of y'all make these? How do you drill your blanks
Thanks
Tom
Alabama

its_virgil

The Colt 7mm drill bit is long enough. Or search for an aircraft drill bit which is usually 6 inches long. Actually, I do drill from both ends and the holes meet nicely. But, I do turn the blank round first and hold it with my Beall collet chuck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've seen several versions of long/one piece wooden pens. Mostly modified slimlines.
I'd like to try some. I got my blanks stabilized ready to go and realized I have no 7mm Drill bits long enough to drill it out.
(I am sure y'all don't drill from each end and try and meet in the middle)
Where can one get 7mm drill bits 7/8" long. I tried my usual sources, no go.
Looked at McMaster Carr down to local Ace hardware :at-wits-end:
Any of y'all make these? How do you drill your blanks
Thanks
Tom
Alabama

Last edited:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
If I'm reading your post correctly, keep in mind that the drill bit need not go all the way through it just needs to be as long as the tubes. I made my first Slimline closed end pen and drilled the blanks normal depth while the "top end" of the pen is several inched longer. It looks like a bank pen, in a holder, with a card slot for business cards. If I am miss reading I apologize.
WB

Top Bottom