Long Nose vs Regular Nose Live Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Alex,

I bought the Grizzly 5686 live center. It is heavy duty and does everything I ask of it. Regardless, if you use a mandrel, make sure your live center hase a 60 degree tip.

Rifleman1776

I have both and don't see a difference in using. That clearance thing might be important with a machine (steel turning) lathe.
Whatever you get, make sure it is a machine tool center and not a woodworking center. Big difference in quality and hardness of the steel.

alexkuzn

Looks like for some people better tool clearance is important and for some not.
Chuck, can you please tell me what type of work is do you use your Packard slim center?

Alex

Russianwolf

My live center has a couple nicks in it where the tool touched it while working on a piece. I can see the benefit of the long nose to prevent you from chipping an edge on your tools.

MobilMan

Go with the long nose. You've got more distance for tools. If you get into making something like a coffee scoop & things like such, you'll need the long one.

randyrls

Hi everyone!

I am thinking about buying one of these two live centers from Grizzly:

Description states that "Long Nose Center provides more tool clearance"

My question: Is tool clearance important for pen and other turning between centers?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex; The tool clearance is more important when doing metal working where the piece is turned right up to the end. With a mandrel and nut it isn't as important. Of more importance is to make sure that it is a 60 degree point, and that the MT taper matches your lathe's tail stock.

Replaceable tips are a plus because you can wear out the tip and can just get another tip.

Top Bottom