long clicker and sierra problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I turned a few long clickers and had trouble with the clicker working (on 3 of the 4 I turned) I figured out the opening in the tip was too small for the refill and it was hanging up when retracting. Took a small drill bit and cleaned up the opening and works great. Then the same thing happened with a few sierra style pens I turned.
Hope this helps anyone with simular problems, it took me a while trying all kind of things before I realized the problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Been There and Done That

I had a similar problem with a Perfect fit kit when trying to use it as a pencil. I had Titanium Gold and Chrome Finish. I found the Chrome worked fine but the Gold didn't work at all. After much consternation, I concluded the finish on the gold nib was too thick. I drilled it out carefully from the top side and then the pencil worked.:)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I had a similar problem with a Perfect fit kit when trying to use it as a pencil. I had Titanium Gold and Chrome Finish. I found the Chrome worked fine but the Gold didn't work at all. After much consternation, I concluded the finish on the gold nib was too thick. I drilled it out carefully from the top side and then the pencil worked.:)
That is surprising because Gold Titanium Nitride plating is normally much much thinner than Chrome.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I turned a few long clickers and had trouble with the clicker working (on 3 of the 4 I turned) I figured out the opening in the tip was too small for the refill and it was hanging up when retracting. Took a small drill bit and cleaned up the opening and works great. Then the same thing happened with a few sierra style pens I turned.
Hope this helps anyone with simular problems, it took me a while trying all kind of things before I realized the problem.
I wonder if the problem is with the plating or if they are providing weaker springs with kits.

The only reason I can come up with with it being plating is if the companies have introduced a different plating method. This seems to be across the industry and not limited to one or two sources.

I can easily understand that several companies might be using the same source for springs although most of the changes I'm seeing in the refill springs has tended to help avoid reversing the spring, which will also cause hangups.

triw51

I wonder if the problem is with the plating or if they are providing weaker springs with kits.

The only reason I can come up with with it being plating is if the companies have introduced a different plating method. This seems to be across the industry and not limited to one or two sources.

I can easily understand that several companies might be using the same source for springs although most of the changes I'm seeing in the refill springs has tended to help avoid reversing the spring, which will also cause hangups.

Smitty it was not the spring in my case because I pushed the refill into the tip by hand I could feel it was catching. Also after I drilled out the tip every thing worked fine.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Smitty it was not the spring in my case because I pushed the refill into the tip by hand I could feel it was catching. Also after I drilled out the tip every thing worked fine.
Oh, I have also used the drill bit, usually when I went from a standard issue refill to a Schmidt EasyFlow9000. The reason I'm wondering about the spring is because this hanging up seems to be happening quite a lot more often than it used to, and other problems involving weak springs have been being reported.

vakmere

Perhaps cost cutting methods by the manufacturers are being done at our expense? Quality control issues?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Perhaps cost cutting methods by the manufacturers are being done at our expense? Quality control issues?
It doesn't seem to be frequent enough to be a big QC issue. It is also across manufacturers which leads me away from that. In addition there are also variation in the refills in that one "size" doesn't necessarily fit all. Most companies shy away from cost cutting measures that will damage their product's quality and their reputation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom