Long Click Repair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have a long click that I need to repair - Does anyone know how can I get the clip and click mechanism out of the body without messing up the click mechanism?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yes:biggrin:

Can you get the nib and it's coupler out?
Once you have it out, use the biggest transfer punch that will fit inside the tube.
DON'T reach for a hammer !!
Simply hold the pen in a good grip with both hands and press down on your workbench. Keep your face out of the way !!

Last edited:

crabcreekind

Once you have it out, use the biggest transfer punch that will fit inside the tube.
Simply hold the pen in a good grip with both hands and press down on your workbench. Keep your face out of the way !!

Really??? There is nooooo way i could have got one i disassembled out with just pure pressure. It took me 30 minutes of beating to get it out.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Really??? There is nooooo way i could have got one i disassembled out with just pure pressure. It took me 30 minutes of beating to get it out.

Why would you need more pressure to get it out than you used to press it in? Was there glue inside the tube or something? Or did it take 30 mins of beating to get it in?:biggrin:
I reckon you can easily transfer about 75% of your body weight down onto a two handed grip. In my case that would be about 75 kg. ( I weigh 100kg )What's that? Roughly 165lbs?

Considering the tiny amount of surface area holding the parts together it can't fail to come out ( unless it's glued ) which I reckon is about 1/2 a square inch, if that, and would mean in my case I could affectively apply over 320psi to the mech without having to pound on it.
I think that on those mechs, some of the pounding with a hammer would be absorbed by the plastic parts of the mech before the force was transfered to the metal end. Unlike other kits, the long clicker is long enough to get two hands on. :biggrin:

maxman400

Once I get the nib coupler out, I slide the transfer punch in to the pen then use a spring loaded center punch on the end of the transfer punch. The Shock of the center punch is applied to the pen component with out beating the crap out of it. Be sure to keep the transfer punch tight against the part you are trying to remove, This has worked great for me. :rolleyes: DAMHIKT.

I made one one time and needed to take it apart (don't remember why) but I remember that thing being VERY hard to press in and the tube was clean. Anyhoo I beat on it as hard as I could and it would not budge. ended up completely destroying the soft aluminum that is connected to the clicker and still had to cut the brass tube off. Several pens later I forgot to install the clip DUHH!!! so now I have a long click pen with no clip.:biggrin:
Another pen that is a bugger to get apart is the Art Deco.

maxman400

Once I get the nib coupler out, I slide the transfer punch in to the pen then use a spring loaded center punch on the end of the transfer punch. The Shock of the center punch is applied to the pen component with out beating the crap out of it. Be sure to keep the transfer punch tight against the part you are trying to remove, This has worked great for me. :rolleyes: DAMHIKT.
To get the nib coupler out, I un-screw the nib use a flat washer that will fit over the threads and screw the nib back on, then gently tap on the washer which should pull the coupler out of the tube.

keithbyrd

Thanks to all - I will be giving it a try tonight. I did not want to mess up the clicker on this - hopefully your tips will help - will let you now how it works!

Top Bottom