Long click pencil quality???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Hello Folk,
I was asked to make a long click pen and the matching pencil. I was wondering if anyone has used the long click pencil and how it has held up.

Doing a little reaserch I found that the schmidt pencil inserts fit into the cigar and comfort fit. according to the responses the schmidt is the best out there. Would it be possible to use the schmidt pencil insert in a long click???

Thanks for the responses.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

My Schmidt inserts have a ridge at the top that keeps them from fitting into the long click tube - the threaded nib part is too narrow. The mech is also too long. That was a great idea.

keithlong

Just a thought here, you can make a one piece pencil from a slimline pencil kit, just be sure that you premeasure the tubes and the centerband and cut your blank to that lenght, and then turn it and assemble without the center band.

el_d

Just a thought here, you can make a one piece pencil from a slimline pencil kit, just be sure that you premeasure the tubes and the centerband and cut your blank to that lenght, and then turn it and assemble without the center band.

May have to try it.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I made a matching Long Clicker pen and pencil set for someone for holidays. It seemed okay. I haven't heard as to how it's holding up, though.

el_d

I made a matching Long Clicker pen and pencil set for someone for holidays. It seemed okay. I haven't heard as to how it's holding up, though.

Thanks Sue,

May need to do a standard long click pencil kit if I cant get the schmidt to work..

Russianwolf

Mike how do you reload the lead? does the Schmidt fit through the nib coupler?

yep, you just need to trim off the ridge at the very top and it fits nicely. To refill, unscrew the nib, pull out the mechanism and remove the cap and refill. It'd be nice if you could reload from the back, BUT I'd rather have a pencil that know won't break.

el_d

Wow! Thanks Mike.

Just to clear up any of my confusion I borrowed an Image from Anthony at Penworks.

Is this the ridge your refering to? How did you remove it? Dremmel? Would it just be a slide in mechanism, kinda like a standard refill?

Attachments

• refil.JPG
    refil.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 197

Russianwolf

Wow! Thanks Mike.

Just to clear up any of my confusion I borrowed an Image from Anthony at Penworks.

Is this the ridge your refering to? How did you remove it? Dremmel? Would it just be a slide in mechanism, kinda like a standard refill?

yep, that's the refill and that's the ridge. I just used my utility knife to trim around the edge and remove it. Once that's done it slid into the pen just fine.

Russianwolf

Got around to taking some pics.

1) refill with the ridge removed(and shortened to accommodate an EB, but it doesn't effect the use in the long click)
2) refill inserted into the long click.
3) Close up
4) with the nib in place. And yes it worked fine.
5) Same refill in an EB (needs to be shortened by the amount of the thin little piece on the cap, but be careful as it can open a hole and the leads escape)
6) same EB with the stock Parker in place.

Attachments

• Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 102.jpg
    Picture 102.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 104.jpg
    Picture 104.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Picture 105.jpg
    Picture 105.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 106.jpg
    Picture 106.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 178
The part I do not like about this kit is the fact the pen and pencil are not the same length. Seems strange to make matching pen and pencil and not be the same length. I only made one so I did not try and see if they could be made different, the tubes are different length in the kit package, crazy. So watch it when you turn and assemble

el_d

The part I do not like about this kit is the fact the pen and pencil are not the same length. Seems strange to make matching pen and pencil and not be the same length. I only made one so I did not try and see if they could be made different, the tubes are different length in the kit package, crazy. So watch it when you turn and assemble

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind.

Top Bottom