Long Click disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

I took the other end of one, it had a plating defect I didn't see until AFTER I pressed it together.

Found that a ball end hex key worked great holding the pen in my hand and wacking the key with a deadblow hammer. A couple dozen strikes and the nib came off in my hand.

I would think the proper size hex key might give you enough support on the clicker end to not ruin it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I took the other end of one, it had a plating defect I didn't see until AFTER I pressed it together.

Found that a ball end hex key worked great holding the pen in my hand and wacking the key with a deadblow hammer. A couple dozen strikes and the nib came off in my hand.

I would think the proper size hex key might give you enough support on the clicker end to not ruin it.

Alan,

I am confused. You were taking off the nib because of plating issues? If so, why not just unscrew the nib?

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

Don_Hart

This is when a set of transfer punches comes in handy. You can get a decent 28pc set for $10 - $15. The will normally have punches from 3/32 - 1/2" by 64ths and about 5" long. This will give you a punch pretty much the size of any tube you need to get a mechanism out of. That along with a dead blow hammer or a brass hammer will allow you to disassemble just about anything.

Manny

This is when a set of transfer punches comes in handy. You can get a decent 28pc set for $10 - $15. The will normally have punches from 3/32 - 1/2" by 64ths and about 5" long. This will give you a punch pretty much the size of any tube you need to get a mechanism out of. That along with a dead blow hammer or a brass hammer will allow you to disassemble just about anything.

I have the set. It won't work on these.The hole in the press fitting for the nib is the same diameter as the hole in the click mechanism. If you put a punch in it will destroy the other end.

I did something similar to ARW01

I took a second nib cut it in half. Screwed it onto the pressed in fitting on the pen. screwed in another fitting into the other side that I cut then used some pliers and twisted and pulled the fitting out of the pen.

I need to find someone who can weld so I can make this a permanent tool.

This method should work with any pen that has the same diameter on both sides or is closed on one end.

Manny

Top Bottom