Long Click Click Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

The last day today of my first show. I had a lady wanting to buy a long click oout of purpleheart. after deciding to buy I said but you haven't even written with it yet -thinking this is a noi brainer! The click failed - the pen would not stay engaged! I took the refill out - made sure it was seated, reset the spring - it worked twice then failed. I apologized and picked up another so she could try ti and the same thing. I had 4 in inventory -everyone either failed or were real sticky - I lost her sale and 3 people that were watching walked away. Bummer.
Any one have any ideas about what was/is wrong? I tested them all Thursday and they worked fine - little sticky perhaps but worked fine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

wow that is crazy, of the several that i have made, not had a single problem out of any of them and they have been going strong for over a year and a half now.

Keith - Sounds like an issue in assembly. The pen is normally a solid performer. The "Clicker" - from CSUSA - has a "tool" they supply with each kit to install the click mechanism. It's a small chome plated cylinder. It must be used to avoid damage to the mechanism. And the parts must be installed in the sequence as defined in the instructions.

keithbyrd

Keith - Sounds like an issue in assembly. The pen is normally a solid performer. The "Clicker" - from CSUSA - has a "tool" they supply with each kit to install the click mechanism. It's a small chome plated cylinder. It must be used to avoid damage to the mechanism. And the parts must be installed in the sequence as defined in the instructions.

Thanks TEd - I made these about a month ago and am pretty sure I used the tool they provided - I won't deny possible assembly problems cause I have heard nothing but good about these but I sure don't know where it was! I have one or two more kits and willtry again. Think they are damaged beyond repair?

Keith - If the click mechanisms are damaged, I'd bet they're not repairable. However, I have been able in the past to replace mechanisms. The way the Clicker is designed and assembled makes this rather difficult but you might give it a try. Most of the suppliers are aware of the need and will have parts available.

By the way, when I assemble I normally try to put just a wee dab of oil (thin air tool oil) on the mating parts. I wipe it on with a "just damp" cotton swab. Seems to make assembly go smoother and also has (IMHO) helped a bit in those cases where I need to disassemble.

Mack - me, too! When you come up with a solution, patent it and you'll make a million bucks! 2nd "by the way" - they're also quite useful when assembling the newer CSUSA "Manhattan" pen.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Thanks Ted - I will give it a shot a see what I can come up with for disassembly and repair - will post if I can come up with anything!

Top Bottom