Long 7mm tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkc

I KNOW I seen them somewhere, but now that I want some longer 7mm tubes I can't find them. Could anyone help me out? I want to try making a cartridge pen for my husband.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Most suppliers sell longer tubes that you need to trim to fit. I've seen them at CSUSA, PSI and woodcraft. I'm sure there is more suppliers out there, too. HTH

mrcook4570

For cartridge pens, I use the long tube from a 7mm euro inside a .30-06 case. The tube is just a little short, so I sand off the excess case neck on the disc sander.

Randy_

Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />Most suppliers sell longer tubes that you need to trim to fit. I've seen them at CSUSA, PSI and woodcraft. I'm sure there is more suppliers out there, too. HTH

The only place I have ever seen long brass tubes sold for pens is at PSI or one of their resellers.

PSI Universal Tubes

I have never seen a product like this at either CSUSA or Woodcraft. If I have overlooked them at other sources, would you please post a link.

les-smith

There has also been talk in the past of people being able to get the longer tubing at a hardware or hobby store.

Randy_

Originally posted by les-smith
<br />There has also been talk in the past of people being able to get the longer tubing at a hardware or hobby store.

Good point, Les. I had intended to comment on that in my earlier post; but it slipped by. You have to be pretty careful about buying from hobby shops and such because the tubes are mostly sized in inches rather than mm and you can't be sure that wall thicknesses are the same as our pen tubes so it is necessary to check tube IDs as well to be sure they compatible with mandrels, bushings and pen hardware.

bkc

Thanks for everyones help, I really appreciate it. I'd check out a hobby store, but we don't have a 'real' one in town. Only one hobby store, and all they do is buy Walmart stuff and resell it [:(]

toolcrazy

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by toolcrazy
<br />Most suppliers sell longer tubes that you need to trim to fit. I've seen them at CSUSA, PSI and woodcraft. I'm sure there is more suppliers out there, too. HTH

The only place I have ever seen long brass tubes sold for pens is at PSI or one of their resellers.

PSI Universal Tubes

I have never seen a product like this at either CSUSA or Woodcraft. If I have overlooked them at other sources, would you please post a link.

Well, Randy, I stand corrected. And I apologize for incorrect information.

mick

Bonnie, if you have a Woodcraft near by they carry 7mm tubes that are around 4 inches long. I'm guessing without digging them out of my misc. tube pile. But they are for one of the magnifying glass kits IIRC. I think there are 6 or so in a pack. I bought them to make modified Bracelet helpers. Another thing I've never gotten around to!

bkc

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I DID finally spot them in PSI's catalog, so I ordered from Woodtuningz. I swear I went through that catalog 10 times without seeing them [:I]

mick

Originally posted by Varinokid
<br />How would someone cut them? Tube cutter or bandsaw? I've heard different....

I bought a minature tubing cutter at Hobby Lobby. I found it in the section with model train supplies

Randy_

Originally posted by Varinokid
<br />How would someone cut them? Tube cutter or bandsaw? I've heard different....

Take your pick:

Table saw
Miter saw
Band saw
Scroll saw
Tube cutter
Miter box and hand saw
Micro table saw or cut off saw
and probably a few others that I have missed
My favorite is the Dremel rotary tool with a cut off wheel....not because it is necessarily better than any of the others; but because I already had one so there was no additional cost and it is easy to use.

All of the above will work just fine if you use the correct technique and could be dangerous if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom