LOGWOOD COLOR QUESTION

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I just ordered some logwood blanks. I selected them because of the intense, saturated color they display. This is my first experience with this wood, and I want to know if this color will tend to fade or change over time (months, years), once finished. Anyone with experience on this point? Thanks.

Steve Guzy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

Wikipedia Says:
"
Haematoxylum campechianum (Logwood) is a species of flowering tree in the legume family, Fabaceae, that is native to southern Mexico and northern Central America.[1] It has been and to a lesser extent remains of great economic importance. The modern nation of Belize grew from 17th century English logwood logging camps. The tree's scientific name means "bloodwood" (haima being Greek for blood and xulon for wood)."

Tomas

Whaler

I made a desk lamp for LOML out of it about a year ago and the color is as intense today as it was when I cut it. I have heard that exposure to sunlight will turn it brownish.

SteveG

Thanks Dick (Whaler). I am glad to hear your experience, since the color is so nice at the start. I would really like to have that rich color keep going over the years. The sun tends to alter (for the worse) the coloring on many woods, especially some of the red ones. Has anyone else had long term experience with this wood, as far as color retention over time?
Steve Guzy

Top Bottom