logo inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Hello !

Since I am totaly without experiences on segmented/ inlay pens I would like to ask for advice of experienced turners.

Few days ago our national footbal team qualifyed for 2010 World cup in South Africa. This means quite an oppurtunity for things as protocole presents and similar, so I was thinking about making a pen with national association logo.

I am enclosing the logo; is there any possbility of making that 5 circles in the pen (without the bottom text) with some segmented work ? I am afraid the logo is too widht for normal laser engrave.

Our national colours are white and green; for the pen I would use bleached maple, and instead of green I could use walnut or similar. If engraving would be possbile, I guess covering with green colour would be an option.

Thank you in advance for possible advices; all the best.

Attachments

• footbal logo.jpg
    footbal logo.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 112
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Constant, thank you for your kind offer, but I am afraid shipping pieces from Europe to USA and back would be quite expensive.

I also thought of engraving, but I am afraid it could not be made in 1 pass. Would "turning laser device" be needed to make such a widht logo ?

My pens are finished with CA finish. If I use green artist colour for filling engravings - will the colour stay in there or must it be protected with several coats of CA ?

Thanks again.

mrcook4570

I do not know the laws in Slovenia, but over here, the use of logos can be sensitive issues. Companies are very protective of their logos and are often hesitant to grant permission to others to use their logo. A logo can not be used unless permission has been granted and/or a licensing fee has been paid.

You will need rotary device for the laser and then raster the logo into the wood.
Use a dry type of filling so the color would not bleed into the wood.
Ca would also be the my choice for a finish to seal the filler and have a great finish.

george

I do not know the laws in Slovenia, but over here, the use of logos can be sensitive issues. Companies are very protective of their logos and are often hesitant to grant permission to others to use their logo. A logo can not be used unless permission has been granted and/or a licensing fee has been paid.

I know about this; my intention is to offer this pens to our national footbal assocation. Thank you anyway for the warning.

Just one more question about CA over filler - does this mean you have to do CA finish 2 times ? One on the wood to protect it from the filler and then one more time to protect the filler ?
Is there some filler that will resist the use and time without top-protection ?
Sorry for bodering with such basic questions; but so far I never filled the laser engraves.

Smokey7385

Another thought might be to scroll saw the blank and fill with inlace then turn. If you have access to the magizine "Woodturning Design" the latest issue has a write-up of the technique. I'm not sure if your particular logo would lend itself to such a technique or not but with a little experimenting you may be able to pull it off.

http://www.woodturningdesign.com/issues/current.shtml

JimMc7

<snip>
Few days ago our national footbal team qualifyed for 2010 World cup in South Africa. <snip>

I can't help with your question, but congratulations to your team for qualifying for WC 2010 over the higher seeded Russian team! Great result for your team and country.

dexter0606

George
Another possibility might be using water slide decals.
Just print the logo onto the sheet, let it dry for a day, coat it with a decal sealer and a few hours later you can immerse it in water and then slide it on to your pen. Supplies can be bought here at a hobby store (or on-line). Not sure about where you are. Coat with CA and your done. I've done a lot of pens this way. It takes a little bit to get the hang of getting the first couple of coats of CA on without sticking to the decal but all in all it works pretty good.

Jeff

Attachments

• OSCA sample.jpg
    OSCA sample.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom