Loctite question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I have made a Baron (Black Ti) with a gorgeous snake skin blank. It was sold nearly twice, but in both cases the top finial with the clip came off. I have several times tried to glue it to secure it. CA failed twice, so did 2 part epoxy. Now, a colleague recommended Loctite Red to secure the cap to the pen. I have applied it on Thursday, the cap seems finally to stay where it belongs, however, I have still some of the surplus red loctite inside the cap and it has not solidified yet. I can get some on a little stick or a paper towel when testing. How long does it normally take to gets hard completely?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Locktite cures in the absence of air. That's why it cures when used to lock threads, bearings, and pen finials. An open puddle will never cure, all it will do is become sticky after a few months.

Best to clean it up with some Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. The stuff in the joint has cured, and you won't soften it.

Rifleman1776

Russ' response was right on. Locktite hardens because of a reaction with the metal parts. Dunno if calling that 'curing' is correct. But it is good stuff and will work for you. A little goes a long way.

Top Bottom