Loctite???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I know we had this discussion before and not long ago but what was the outcome??? Do most use the Blue or the Red for things like clips and center bands???? Would it be any good for glueing in tubes in cartridges for bullet pens or for that matter for helping glue in the bullet if using real bullets???? Would heat affect it later if you do powdercoating????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I use the blue. As for gluing I think that would only work if it's a tight fit to start with. Since Loctite is used on the bolts on engines I think heat would have no effect.

The "blue" and "red" Loctite are both threadlocking compounds. Red is considered a "permanent" compound, whereas blue is used when you reasonably expect to remove the part at some later date. Use the two accordingly. To the best of my recollection, the blue is Loctite 242, and the red is Loctite 271. But don't take those numbers to the bank or anything---its been about 9 years since I've dealt with Loctite at all. In my own defense, however, I still remember my military service number, and its been 40 years since I've dealt with THAT!!!! FWIW, RA18857363

I still remember my military service number, and its been 40 years since I've dealt with THAT!!!! FWIW, RA18857363

What's the RA stand for... my service number didn't have any letters before it.. and if you had the same style of instructors I did, the number is probably tattooed on the inside of your eyelids so you can't forget it. I got out of the Navy in 1964 and still remember mine as well.

LOL Cav; no, Teddy didn't give me the number, but I think maybe I saw him once up on a hill while on bivouac. Chuck, the RA was for "Regular Army", or enlisted; US was for draftees, ER for enlisted reserve, and NG for National Guard. I'm thinking that the letter prefix was unique to the Army, since they also handled National Guard training at the time, and used it to readily distinguish between type of programs. About a year before the end of my active duty, they phased out the "service number" concept, and switched to using your Social Security Account Number as a service number, which I wasn't really fond of.

Last edited:

jkeithrussell

In the 80's the Army was still doing this combined training. Alpha Romeo's were the Army Reserves, and No Go's were the National Guardsmen. I remember this mostly from the chow line where you had to come to attention and announce yourself being admitted -- something like "Private Russell, Romeo Alpha [regular army], [social security number], request permission to enter mess hall, drill sergeant." If you goofed any part of it, or if the drill sergeant felt like screwing with you, you got to do some push-ups before trying again. In a lot of ways, I miss the Army. There is a simplicity and order to military life that you can't duplicate anywhere else.

Top Bottom