Locktite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Some of you use Locktite as an adhesive on centerbands and cap/clip. In Canada, at Home depot I can only find Locktite in a blue container and it states it is a superglue in gel or liquid.I am concerned that any spill over on an exposed surface would not wipe off. Is this the same product you are using or is there another type of glue? Thanks Darrell Eisner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

yikes, yes Loctite make Superglue too. You may want to try an Auto Parts House and look for Loctite thread lock. It does not have to be loctite brand though. I use the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight. also I recommend the Blue thread lock. It is made to let go w/ a little force where Red almost guarantees destruction of you components when all is said and done.

PenMan1

Darrell:
The Loctite that I use is not a glue at all, but rather a thread sealant.

Check with you local auto parts store. They should have two kinds of thread locker. The blue is removable the red is permanent.

Additionally, I don't know if MONTY (woodenwonderstx.com) ships to Nova Scotia, but his prices are less than half of the retail outlets here.

Andrew_K99

Thank you Chris and Andy for your prompt reply. I will check at Canadian Tire. Sure glad I didn't get the superglue :). Darrell
Canadian Tire will have it. It will be in the automotive section (with the silicon gasket materials) and not with the glues.

You want this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/SpecialtyTools/TapeGlueSealants/PRDOVR~0670036P/Colle%252BLoctite%252BThreadlocker%252BBlue%252B242.jsp?locale=en

NOT this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Loctite+UltraGel+Super+Glue,+4g.jsp?locale=en

AK

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thank you Andrew and Mark....heading down to Canadian tire now :). Darrell
I use the blue from Permatex as a thread sealant. It is called Medium Strength. Don't be fooled, it is a way more than Medium Strength. You won't be able to take anything apart with your fingers etc. It will take pliers, or a collet chuck, or anything else you can think of to take the piece apart.

The back of the card shows a Low Strength in a Purple/Violet colour. That's what I will be looking for next!

I only use it to seal end caps/clips and on the 2 pc. tip of a Cigar pen.

scotian12

Thank you Mack. I just picked up the locetite from Canadian Tire. Surprised that its such a small container and big price...$7.99. I will check out the Permatex as it maybe a cheaper alternative. Darrell

Justturnin

Thank you Mack. I just picked up the locetite from Canadian Tire. Surprised that its such a small container and big price...$7.99. I will check out the Permatex as it maybe a cheaper alternative. Darrell

that small container will last a loooooong time. Just a small drop is all you need.

nava1uni

You only have to put a tiny drop on the top thread. When you put it together the sealant will be spread throughout all the threads. Works great to hold the transmission on a Sierra style pen together, but I don't think that it will work to hold the center band or the clip and finial since it is thread lock.

philipff

Has anyone used Locktite-blue, or red, to keep the 3 piece centerband parts together and on the brass in several models? I had someone pull a twist off cap f.p. off and, while I was able to CA it back together I wondered if there was not something better to use as a glue???
Incidentally, I used the Black L.T. to glue a steel rod to the top of my pen-turning tool rest and it is solid as a rock.
Thanks, Philip

PTsideshow

Ok here is the straight dope on the loctite threadlockers, They are currently on sale in the May 2012 Enco flyer.

222MS Threadlocker, low strength/purple for locking sealing screws

242 Threadlocker, medium strength/removable/blue locks seals nuts,bolts, screws and fittings

262 Threadlocker, permanent strength/red heavy duty use on bolts and studs

271 Threadlocker, High strength/red Locks and seal, plugs, bolts and nuts

290 Threadlocker, Wicking grade/green locks and seals pre-assembled fasteners to eliminate vibration and corrosion

Loctite also has a plastic to metal threadlocker it is 425 Assure Loctite ® 425™ Assure™ Instant Adhesive, Surface Curing Blue Threadlocker is designed as a fast curing, low strength adhesive for locking metal and plastic fasteners. The product is designed for pre- or post-application. Loctite 425 cures quickly on plated metal and plastics fasteners; fixturing is achieved in less than 2 minutes and full strength within 24 hours. Fixture speed can be increased by application of a Loctite cyanoacrylate activator - e.g. 7113™. This product is typically used in applications with an operating range of -54 °C to +85 °C.

Might have some promise for pen work.
Loctite 425 Assure Threadlocker - Henkel

:clown:

PTsideshow

425 Assure Loctite ® 425™ Assure™ Instant Adhesive, Surface Curing Blue Threadlocker is designed as a fast curing, low strength adhesive for locking metal and plastic fasteners. .................. Fixture speed can be increased by application of a Loctite cyanoacrylate activator - e.g. 7113™. This product is typically used in applications with an operating range of -54 °C to +85 °C.

Might have some promise for pen work.
Loctite 425 Assure Threadlocker - Henkel

:clown:
It is stated as such and at the link as a low strength adhesive.

You will have out gassing on any thread locker sealant as the cure, since they all are some form of adhesive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom