Loc-tite for loose kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

I recently ordered 10 slimline kits, made 3 pens today. Came inside to assemble them, the finials and nibs slide in and out of the tubes by hand. Freakin terrible kits.

Can I red loc-tite the pieces into place?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

I received about 20 kits sometime back and like yours the parts went in and slid out real easy until I started using the blue loc tite. Using the blue makes it a little easier to take apart if needed to at a later date.

Randy_

Yes.....but.....blue is the preferred color. It, supposedly, is not quite so permanent if you ever need to get one apart. I've never tried to disassemble a kit that has been glued with red or blue Loctite or for that matter CA or epoxy. I really don't know how difficult disassembly is if the parts have been glued or if it is even possible.

Interesting question. Has anyone out there successfully disassembled a kit that has had the hardware glued in and if so, what glue was used??

smoky10

I have used medium and thick Ca to glue parts to the tubes. They are a little harder to take back apart--I've done that also ---[:(]. Be sure to let the glue dry before you reassembly or you might glue the mechanism and it won't turn. DAMHIKT. [:I]

chigdon

I use blue loctite on all of my Barons now as I have had several of them slip later. I don't know how hard it would be to disassemble but I haven't had it happen since.

1080Wayne

Be careful with any threadlocker around plastic . I got tired of El Grande finials coming loose , and started Loctiteing the brass threads , taking care not to get any on the plastic finial . All of the finials cracked in 2-3 weeks . Apparently something acted as an environmental stress crack agent . I am currently trying a smaller amount , blowing air into the clip/finial assembly while the threadlocker is curing , and delaying assembly into the cap for 2-3 days . Wayne Richardson

loglugger

Skye and LanceD, would you want to tell us whose kits these are. You might check the tube size before and after the pen mill. My drill press table got off of square once and the pen mill took a little scrape off the inside of the tubes near the end so things fit a little loose on a couple of pens until I cot it. CA is our friend.
Bob

Skye

Mine came from woodturningz, never had a bad kit from them till now so I'm assuming it's an isolated incident. Everything else from them has been stelar. It's the 24K and chrome slims. The kits are loose in the tubes right out of the bag. I'll probably have to return the unopened ones as I dont like the idea of gluing 10 pens together. I'll probably make that decision after I try the loctite for a few. I may use it to gimp by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom