Live center question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use a mandrel and I just had to replace the stock live center. When you tighten the tailstock is the live center supposed to rotate when the lathe is running? Presently I just tighten it so the mandrel does not wobble. Is there a right answer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

The live center should be tightened enough that it spins with the mandrel but not so tight that it bows the mandrel . If it is not tight enough the mandrel will place uneven pressure on the live center causing more wear on the point of the center and the socket of the mandrel which could also cause an OOR problem .
The way I do it is to start with the tailstock quill all the way in (retracted) , then I bring the tailstock up until the live center fully contacts the mandrel socket , then I lock the tailstock down . Then I start the lathe and tighten the quill until the live center is spinning with the mandrel then I lock the quill . You can hear when the live center is spinning at the same speed as the lathe .
Others may do it differently but this method has worked for me since I started turning and I have never bent a mandrel or wore out a live center .

alphageek

Former Moderator
I use a mandrel and I just had to replace the stock live center. When you tighten the tailstock is the live center supposed to rotate when the lathe is running? Presently I just tighten it so the mandrel does not wobble. Is there a right answer?

When you replaced your live center, did you get a 60 degree one? The stock ones are not designed to line up with mandrels. A 60 degree one is pretty much a required upgrade for turning with a pen mandral... and yes, it should spin... otherwise a 'dead' one would be better and cheaper.

bitshird

Has any one noticed the new turncrafter commander comes with a 60 degree live center?? at least that's what the pictures are showing. Why haven't PSI and the other companies included the 60 degree centers with their smaller lathes before?

Top Bottom