Live center question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbostian

When using a mandrel you want to use a 60 degree live center. The 60 degree center fits into the end of the mandrel better and keeps the mandrel from wobbling. The center you are considering looks to be a standard wood turning center. I think you would be better off ordering a 60 degree center. I am still pretty new to pen turning so some one else might be able to give some more info.

Jamie

Robert Taylor

i bought that same center from hartville tool when i first started. the point disentegrated in the pen mandrel the first time that i used it. got my money back for the center but had to get a friend with a metal lathe to repair the mandrel. i would not reccomend it even for turning wood.

Karin Voorhis

I must agree here. and can back up my words. I was turning everything with stock center basic concept the same as the one you where looking at in the link. I made a big trade with Charlie and Alton and in the midst of some of the items was a 60 degree live center. I poped that it and now as long as my blanks are squard correct by me. I no longer have had 1 bit of trouble with a nonround turn! I AM HAPPY and will not go back to using anything else.
BTW: thanks to Charlie and Alton!

fafow

From my experience and what I have also read on this site, if you are using a mandrel you really need a 60 degree live center. If it is not 60 degrees, then count on the majority of your pens being slightly to significantly out of round. In the grand scheme of things, this is one item that you really need to get right. You can get a quality, hardened steel, live center from John Goodin (johnnycnc) for about $25 plus shipping. Here is the link: http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3. I bought one of these from him earlier this year and have had absolutely no problems with it.

I don't' know what your budget is, but Woodcraft and probably others, sells a live center that a variety of tips and cups... I got one about a year back and have found only one of the points that I don't use... it has a nice 60 deg tip that does all my pens...

Top Bottom