LIVE CENTER QUESTION

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

No, I am looking to purchase a live center for my wood lathe. There are a lot of them for metal lathes, I was wondering if there is a difference, Will a live center from a metal with the same taper, lathe work on a wood lathe. I don't think metal lathes turn a fast as wood lathes for one thing.

jhs494

Yes the live centers are the same.
In fact some on the forums order their centers from a placed called Little machine shop.
As with anything you get what you pay for.
Investing in a higher quality live center may save you from having to replace it in the future.
I purchased mine from PSI and it has worked quite well for me.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just to keep things clear here - Wood live centers and metal lathe live have different points. Metal lathes have 60° points - and since mandrels are metal and have indentions for metal centers, or 60° points. If you have a live center for "wood", they can cause problems when used on mandrels because they don't center as well, often resulting in out of round turnings.
. . . But, as far as fitting into a metal or wood lathe, that is determined by the "MT" designation on the center and the lathe. Some use MT 1, some use MT2 etc. This is where they are interchangeable between metal and wood lathes.

Rifleman1776

The biggest difference (and there is a difference) is in quality of bearings and hardness. A lower priced center sold for wood lathes can give problems in short order. A metal working center will have better bearings, an accurate 60 degree point and is hardened for long life. There is a little difference in price but worth it.

Hi Paul,
One thing you will find out real quick is that a metal center will
not pop out of the tail stock like a wood center.
Solution: hold in a wood vice and drill and tap the back end for a
1/4-20 short bolt, get it set so it will pop out then put some
ca on the threads and lock it in place.
Just Charlie & Betsy

PaulDoug

Originally posted by Charlie in Garfield

Hi Paul,
One thing you will find out real quick is that a metal center will
not pop out of the tail stock like a wood center.
Solution: hold in a wood vice and drill and tap the back end for a
1/4-20 short bolt, get it set so it will pop out then put some
ca on the threads and lock it in place.
Just Charlie & Betsy

Thanks for all the info. I was concerned mainly because metal lathes turn slower maybe their live centers weren't made for higher speeds of a wood lathe. I did not think of the 60' part which I can see is important, being I want it for truning pens.

Great info

Top Bottom