Live Center Question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Troy Cole

Hi guys,
I just purchased a new mandrel and live center. My question is when you move the live center to the end of the mandrel, do you tighten it enough so that the live center spins? I always have but I was wondering if this is correct. Thanks,

stevers

Tight enough to hold it firmly but not so tight that it bends your mandrel. What I do is leave the tail stock wheel lock loose with the live center a few thousandths away from the mandrel. Then I turn on the lathe. You will hear the a slight knocking because the mandrel is not in complete contact with the tail stock. You dont want to run it this way long enough to do any damage. (the live centers point is inside the indent of the end of the mandrel) I turn the tail stock wheel to move the live center towards the mandrel until it makes contact and stops making noise. Then give it another little bump to tighten it up. Not much of a bump. Just to take away the noise. This can all be done in a few seconds. It shouldn't take so long that the mandrel or live center can be damaged. Some times I will give the live center a grab to see if it will stop in my hand. Only do this if you are familier with your equiptment. It only tkaes a light squeez to tell. This is something I do. Others may have their own methodes. Another thing to mention is that I have a VS Jet, so this can be done with the lathe on a slower speed. Then the speed can be turned up with the turn of a dial.
My 2cents.
Hope it helps.

Top Bottom