Live Center Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone

I purchased a Little Machine Shop 60* live center. Tonight I put it in the lathe and noticed that it was wobbling slightly. I removed it and cleaned the inside and the shaft of the 2MT. Seated the live center and it still wobbled. I replaced it with the one that came with the lathe (Jet Mini) and it ran true. Is there something else I should check/try before returning it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Not sure what you mean by "wobble?" Are you measuring some runout with a dial gauge or is this movement that you can see with the naked eye? And out of curiosity, do you have the standard or the HD center...not that it matters in solving your problem. If this is movement that you can see with the naked eye, the center needs to be returned as the bearing is not right as Bruce suggested. If you hold the Morse taper in one hand and the tip in the other, can you feel movement/wobble in the center other than the normal rotating motion??

TBone

Not sure what "Oneway" means unless it's a suggestion for a new lathe [:D]. If so, I wish. Maybe one day.

I have not spun the bearing by hand yet but in the lathe you do not need a dial indicator to see the movement. The center is the standard, not the HD. I did not check the conical point specifically but assumed as the pen mandrel obviously has the same amount of movement as the bearing housing. It's enough that you can touch it with your thumb nail and feel it hit/miss with each revolution.

Thanks for the replies guys, I just wanted to confirm whether I needed to check other things before returning.

TBone

Just wanted everyone to know about the customer service from LMS. I reported the problem and the shipped a new one out and told me not to even bother returning the old one. Great, fast service, something you don't see very often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom