Live center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I am looking for a new live center that is not super expensive.

I picked up one from PSI a couple months ago, but it is already dead. The bearings have been getting rough and it finally seized on me today. I bought it through amazon for the free shipping, so I am SOL on it.

What should I get to replace it? I like the idea of one from JohnnyCNC, but that is more than I can afford right now. Anyone know of a less expensive one that is not garbage?

edit: I ordered it just over 3 months ago.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Define "not super Expensive" I have a Nova Live center plus a 60 degree cone, plus the stock that came with my lathe... the 60 degree is around $20 - $30 and that works for most that I turn. I use the nova which is about $100, for special work. The Nova has multiple ends for different needs.

Daniel

I got one of my live centers from Johnny CNC and don't recall thinking it was expensive. So I also am not clear on what you consider expensive.

I also have a live center for my metal lathe from little machine shop. again I didn't consider it expensive. it was in the $20 range.

I would also consider just replacing the bearings. you might get by for just a few dollars that way but it also depends on what else you have Is it hardened? or in other words made for turning metal on a metal lathe? if not then it may not be worth fixing. Regular wood turning live centers wear out fast with the metal to metal contact of holding a mandrel. I ate the tip off two Craftsman 60 degree live centers in a couple of months. They also cost 20 dollars a piece. They not only where not hard enough to do the job the bearings like yours where not up to the task of bearing any load at all. Both centers eventually seized later on with other projects.

Get ahold of Johnny. Buy it just once and save yourself a lot of money.

Wildman

I bought a Grizzly G1293 live center for $29.95 + $4.95 shipping back in September 1994 and still using it today. Cannot remember the + or – accuracy or Rockwell hardness rating quoted but can tell you this center has done everything asked it to do through many years of abuse. This center now on its third lathe. Grizzly doesn't sell that center today.

Bought Grizzly H3408 live center & H5789 dead center for turning pens between centers. Do not use the H3408 that much and wish had bought Carbide tipped dead center H7967.

Today cannot find wood lathe venders selling live centers for much more money even quoting plus or minus accuracy numbers or Rockwell hardness. Closest have come is Grizzly G9361 for $33.95.

johnnycnc

Jason,
Just be careful where you buy from, and what you are getting.
I had a bad year last year in getting good ones. I had a 40-50% reject rate, on average, from 5 different wholesalers. The bearings were garbage.
Those were all Chinese made.
I settled on the ones I carry now, because of great quality, and not the first reject.
They are Taiwanese made.

KenV

I like the Nova because if it's flexibility for lot of uses. It comes with a 60 degree end (insert into a MT2 short taper) as well as several other options for holding items. Made a cheap mandrel saver for it out of a MT2 drill chuck adapter form Little Machine shop.

Good value -- sometimes you can save a few bucks on Amazon for ordering them.

Fibonacci

JohnnyCNC's is $57 alone or $47 with bushings. I am looking for something more in the $20-$30 range, if I can get something that is not junk.

I will look at the Nova. I thought they ran in the $40-$60 range.

As far as replacing the bearing on this one, I don't know what metal they used for the cone, but it is junk as well. It is grooved pretty bad as well.

I have been sanding it back smooth every week or so, just to keep using it, but I am really tired of doing that.

KBs Pensnmore

If you replace the bearings with decent quality ones, have a friend turn up a mandrel saver, 60 degree cone or what ever you require and drill out the holder to suit, that way you can have a different cone to go in to suit the job, mine vary from mandrel saver, cones about 5mm (3/16) up to 60mm (21/2) for centering goblets and inverted cones!!!!
If your cone tips are deforming with a live center you have a major problem?????
Kryn

Daniel

As far as replacing the bearing on this one, I don't know what metal they used for the cone, but it is junk as well. It is grooved pretty bad as well.

I have been sanding it back smooth every week or so, just to keep using it, but I am really tired of doing that.

That is what happened to my craftsman centers. eventually ate the entire tip off the center. The ones I have now have been in use for years and no groove at all after hundreds of pens. I've never worn out a mandrel by the way. Just a matter of the center being made of metal that is hard enough.

KenV

Jason -

Most turners have a cheap gene. I got it too. There is a time to beat the cheap and upgrade a bit. If I may uses autos as metaphors -- Oneway/Jet/Powermatic have the better end (Audi/BMW grade) for wood lathes. The Mercedes goes with some of the high precision metal stuff but wood lathes do not make good use of that level of quality and precision.

You get into the middle range stuff with Nova, the Tawian built machinist, and such.

You get the lower precision available

You currently are using a Yugo with a bad engine -- Time to Upgrade and fight the gene.

fernhills

Hi, i am still useing the same live center i got with my lathe. I ate off the tip in short order when i started doing pens. Went to woodcraft and bought a replacement tip for about 10 bucks, hard metal no wear what so ever. I don`t think it was made for my live center but it works fine. My lathe is about 12 years old.

Top Bottom