Live Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I have a jet mini lathe. When I first started turning, about a month ago, the live center (in the tailstock) had a sharp point on it. It is now rounded down, but still fits in the end of the mandrell.

Is this normal wear? Is it okay to keep using it or should I replace it?

Is it a symptom of tightening too much when i turn?

Help, what should I do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
normal wear yes, should you replace, also yes, I have same lathe, same result, same replacement idea.

johnnycnc

The factory live center point is not 60°, and does not properly fit the end of
your mandrel.
It is also not sufficiently hardened to withstand wear.
I would suggest getting a 60° live center with a hardened point,
you will have better luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The problem was NOT too much tightening. The Live Center that came with your wood lathe was meant to be used on wood, not metal; and since the mandrel is metal, the wood LC point does not fit properly, and it wore down. Mandrels have a 60° dimple in the end and require 60° LCs for correct fit and turning.

I am VERY surprised that companies that sell mandrels don't do a good job of informing the purchaser that it requires 60° live centers.

John has 60° centers on his web site - click here for JohnnyCNC's site. He did not take advantage of your situation by offering you the LCs from his web site, but I will! :biggrin: I have ordered many bushings, including the LC and Dead Drive Center from him - for use in mandrel-less turning.

He has top notch machined tools. I have had centers from commercial companies but they were nowhere near the quality of the ones from John.

This live center information is covered at the bottom of the document for "getting started" - in the PDF file at this link:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Robert Taylor

the best news i can give you is if it is the original jet live center, woodcraft has the center point for $2.00 to repair yours. then do yourself a favor and get a 60 degree point live center to use with a pen mandrel. the tip is jet part #JML-52A

aggromere

getting the live center out

How the heck do you get the live center out of the lathe. Is it all part of the long metal rod that fits in the tailstock or does in come out of that. And if it does, how do you get it out.

Rifleman1776

Lee nailed it. The point is soft. I wouldn't call it 'normal' wear since the point is made of inferior material. I would just call it a normal occurance. And not good. Replace your lc with one from a machine tool source that is made of hardened steel.

The factory live center point is not 60°, and does not properly fit the end of
your mandrel.
It is also not sufficiently hardened to withstand wear.
I would suggest getting a 60° live center with a hardened point,
you will have better luck.

Send John, this ^guy^ a PM. Great products, great prices, incredible service.

The wear you are experiencing is very normal. I didn't realize it was when I started and thought I was doing something wrong.

My tail-stock had some problems when I went to make the swap and he personally assisted me through the whole process until I resolved my problem.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get a dead center, which aren't very expensive, also when you get your order. You can begin turning between centers and your pens will probably improve quite a bit from the mandrel method, at least they did for me.

Good luck.

John has 60° centers on his web site - click here for JohnnyCNC's site. He did not take advantage of your situation by offering you the LCs from his web site, but I will! :biggrin: I have ordered many bushings, including the LC and Dead Drive Center from him - for use in mandrel-less turning.

Hank,
Glad you put up Johnny's site... I've been thinking about getting a dead center and couldn't remember where they were on here. I bookmarked Johnny's site in my supplies file so maybe next time the thought occurs to me I'll be able to find it again.

Did you have your head down when Korea came over last night??:giggle:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank,
Glad you put up Johnny's site... I've been thinking about getting a dead center and couldn't remember where they were on here. I bookmarked Johnny's site in my supplies file so maybe next time the thought occurs to me I'll be able to find it again.

Did you have your head down when Korea came over last night??:giggle:

It snuck by me before I knew it was there! :biggrin:

us_male_man

Now that I have read this thread, I am in the same boat. Didn't notice the wear until this thread and now I have to buy a mandrel. Whose got the best deal.
Mike

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Now that I have read this thread, I am in the same boat. Didn't notice the wear until this thread and now I have to buy a mandrel. Whose got the best deal.
Mike

Mike,

It is probably not the mandrel that is bad - but the tip of the live center that came on the lathe (intended for wood) -instead of the mandrel.

Since this is your first post, Welcome.

Below is a link to a PDF file (mentioned in a previous post on this thread) that may help in some other areas of pen turning. It is not specific but a broad overview of many aspects related to pen turning:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

us_male_man

Thanks, Hank, I have been ghosting this web for awhile now and everytime I get on here there is always something I want to try. Just gonna quit reading the posts. Save me a lot of money. Just kidding.
Mike

fyrcaptn

center

It has amazed me in the short time I've been coming to this site how many times the same problems keep popping their head up.
An educational site such as this ought to be required reading when starting pens.
I went down the "what do you mean the point doesn't fit the mandrel/how can that make my pens out of round" road.
I know anytime anyone mentions they want to start pens I direct them here with the advice to read a few days before you wish you had!
By the way - to the 'old timers' who welcomed and advised me a while back, thanks again!

PenPal

Live Centre Cure

My method has been used by me now for years.

Pic shows live centre with a removable centre under.

A brass sleeve before insertion with a snug fit 3/8 inch deep hole with the mandrel end in it.

No more problems this unit in use for years for Slimlines.

Rgards Peter.

Attachments

• live centre 2 1661x852 [%P].JPG
    live centre 2 1661x852 [%P].JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 116
Top Bottom