Live Center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
My Carbatec uses a 1MT. I bought a live center from Grizzly, but it is wearing down, and contributing to less accurate turning. What is a good source for a 60 degree 1MT live center?

TIA,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mschem

Fred in NC pointed me toward http://littlemachineshop.com and a $12.95 #2MT. Unfortunately, the only #1 they list is the $19.95 heavy duty (part number 1704). If I understood him correctly, Fred seems to feel that heavier is not necessarily better with something as light and small as a pen madrel. (hopefully, he'll chime in and verify or correct this)
Mark

wdcav1952

Thanks, Bruce and Mark. Enco did not seem to have a 1MT unless I missed it, which is not unlikely. I checked Littlemachineshop, and saw the heavy duty 1MT, and was not sure that was what I need. I know that I am getting an inadequate fit between the live center and the end of the mandrel, which I can feel when I am working at the tailstock end of a turning. I won't say that money is no object, but I do want a good 60 degree 1MT live center.

KenV

I have one on the table (MT1) with exchangable centers from Woodcraft -- under $15 as I remember. There are several on the market with interchangable centers including inverse cones (funnels) that could support the a closed end turning.

Nova and Axminister are the top of the line in that kind of flexibility but lots more than $12.99.

Depends on your view of the future and how tight you want your tolerances.

mschem

KenV-

Bear in mind that the issue is a 60 degree cone - not just a #1 taper. Being that I spend rather too much time (and money) at Woodcraft and have closely examined the various live centers they sell, I'm curious.
Do you have a part number or such?
I've never seen - in the catalog or at the local store - a 60 degree center.
That's why I special ordered from elsewhere. Every center I've come across at Woodcraft is steeper or sharper (say 50 degrees) which seems to be the norm for wood lathes. That's not to say you can't regrind a standard "wood" center - but other than one (don't remember the brand) which comes with one of the pen size lathes, 60 degree centers seem to be a rarity in the woodworking arena.
Mark

wdcav1952

Mark,

What you mention is my concern also. I want a 60 degree cone or whatever is required to really fit the indention on the end of the mandrel. I don't see much that specifically says "William this is the live center you need!" [8D]

Fred in NC

OK, I am back and I will chime in ....

The live center that Bruce mentioned above, from Enco, looks real good. It is not as long as the so called heavy duty centers, so it should be a better fit:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=251-3001

It is on sale now, the regular price is $23.95, so at $16.95 it is a good buy. Enco is a good place to buy machinist supplies, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. The shipping charges are reasonable too.

If you have a DAMAGED REGULAR WOODWORKING LIVE CENTER, the kind that comes with the lathe, please email me. I am talking about the kind that does not fit the pen mandrels. As you know, after using it with a mandrel, the point is usually worthless for either use. I have an idea that MIGHT work, and I need some damaged live centers to try it.

woodbutcher

If you want a good live center Oneway is the way to go reguardless of price. You will probably wear out several lathes and still have yrs left on that one. As far as the Ricon 12/16 goes it is as good as the Delta or Jet. You will still need a live center though. The ones that come on lathes under $2000.00 usually need replaced immediately. At least mine have. Hope this helps,

Jim

alamocdc

I wouldn't blame you, Cav, I've been giving that lathe a pretty serious look. I just wish it wasn't so new as to have been left out of the last midi-lathe review from Workbench mag. I like to know what they think of it. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom