Little table saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasJohn

I am attempting my hand at segmented pens. The table saw I am using is a 220v Grizzly - and that seems like a lot of saw to cut a small blank. My wife was going to buy me a mini table saw she saw that was offered by one of the pen suppliers (I don't remember which one off hand). Has anyone had experience with these small saws? I would appreciate any input on using one of these. TIA TExas John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Texas John,
Stay away from the little saw sold by PSI and also sold by Harbor Freight. It will not cross cut a 3/4" blank without bogging down. I had one and it was useless. I tried to return it to HF, but could not find the receipt. I eventually gave it to Goodwill. I'm saving for the saw made by Proxxom and sold by micromark at http://www.micromark.com It is definitely our of my price range at the moment. I have searched for a similar saw but with no luck. If you find one and think about it, shoot me a link. I have used this saw at a friend's shop. It is very well made, very accurate, and also expensive. Ron McIntire does his segmenting with a miter saw.
Do a good turn daily!
don
Originally posted by TexasJohn
<br />I am attempting my hand at segmented pens. The table saw I am using is a 220v Grizzly - and that seems like a lot of saw to cut a small blank. My wife was going to buy me a mini table saw she saw that was offered by one of the pen suppliers (I don't remember which one off hand). Has anyone had experience with these small saws? I would appreciate any input on using one of these. TIA TExas John

TexasJohn

Don - Looks like the Proxxom has been replace. I have a miter saw (Delta) that may be a better deal than using the tabel saw. I am in the process of making a sled for the table saw - just thought that the table saw was a bit of an overkill. Thanks for responding - John

Daniel

John,
Anouther way I have found for cutting small pieces off blanks is my radial arm saw. Don't know if you have one or even acces to one. I can get paper thin slices with mine without risking my fingers, having pieces flying around the shop, and other unpleasent effects. I can't get the same results with my table saw or a miter saw. By the way the miter saw flings things moree than all of them.
Just in case it matters my radial arm saw does have a thin kerf 80 tooth cross cut blade. a pretty fine cutting blade. this may have something to do with it simply slicing off the pieces and leaving them laying on the table. The down side, I paid $300 for mine used. so they are not cheap.

vick

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Put a thin kerf 7-1/4" blade on your table saw and with a good sled you will have just what you need!!
I agree completely. More power is better than less. Spend some time to make the proper jigs for what ever you want to do and your grizzly should work great. I use a Grizzly 220 for all of my stuff.

alamocdc

Concur w/the others, John. Stay w/the gal that brung you, buy a GOOD thin kerf blade a build a nice sled. Problem solved... and for the same or less money than your wife was looking at.[;)]

PMisiaszek

I use a bottom of the line Sears bench-top band-saw to cut blanks. The one I have cost around $60. I made a simple jig that rides in the miter slot and is marked with the barrel lengths of the different pens I make. I have a table saw and a chop saw in my workshop, and a miniature table saw from MicroMark, but the band saw is the easiest and safest way to go in my opinion.

its_virgil

The little table saw from micromark is made by proxxom but does not have their name on it. Made for micromark and others to sell. But it is the same price as a full size table saw. It is on my list, but way down close the bottom.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by TexasJohn
<br />Don - Looks like the Proxxom has been replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom