A Little Info On Pen Kits and Mandrels...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

I am a new pen turner. I actually haven't turned one yet, just practicing and buying supplies for when I am ready. I ened up with two of PSI's Maxi Mandrel - MT2 for what ever reason. Seems like a fairly decent product for the price. I see now that CSUSA which I have grown to like what I read about them also have a mandrel that is very much the same and more expensive, possibly of better quality.
Question is, can I use the mandrels I have with the CSUSA pen kits? I know I will need to buy there bushings for their pens just wondering if their bushings will work on my mandrels.
I have looked at the Berea Hardwoods stuff and it seems they have 2 mandrells with the B shaft model only working with their own pen kits?
Another question, are the Berea and CSUSA penkits actually all the same or are they 2 different manufacturers? Appreciate any help here!
Corey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
All of the kits available in the US are made by either PSI, Berea, or Craft Supplies.

Even though the kits may look alike and have the same name, there are some differences in diameters and lengths of the brass tubes from the different manufacturers.

For that reason, I always recommend the the beginner get their mandrels from the sme place they got their kits. Save the mixing and matching until you have made a few pens.

The larger mandrel from Berea was designed for their Parker-style ball point pen which was the only kit available other than a Slim Line at the time. It is larger so it could be turned without using stepped bushings, and its length was designed for that kit. Since then, the bushings for the other Berea kits have been bored for that larger mandrel, except for those kits that required the longer length of the smaller mandrel. The other manufacturers chose to stay with their smaller mandrel.

Confusing??

challagan

Russ, thanks for the help and yes it is confusing but I guess I will figure it all out eventually. I guess the best thing to do is to use the mandrels etc. for each manufacture. I will probably stick with CSUSA and PSI where I can. Going to need to lable things good!

Russ, your finishing info on your site is most helpful!!

Thanks!
Corey

Randy_

Originally posted by RussFairfield<br />.....For that reason, I always recommend the the beginner get their mandrels from the sme place they got their kits. Save the mixing and matching until you have made a few pens....

As the old saying goes, Russ has forgotten more about this craft than I will probably ever know. Certainly, the advice he has offered is accurate and will not get you in any trouble. However, I would like to offer an alternative point of view. The so called 7 mm mandrels offered by each of the 3 pen kit importers are all within a few thousandths of each other in diameter and are, for all practical purposes, interchangeable. People do it all of the time and I've not seen reports of any negative repercussions. The PSI mandrel is the smallest of the lot and it is possible that a particularly tight PSI bushing might not fit on the slightly larger Berea or CSUSA mandrel; but I have never seen it reported. And even if it did happen, a few minutes with some 600 grit sandpaper would take care of the problem. (Do <b>"NOT"</b> sand down the mandrel...rather use the sandpaper to open up the hole in the bushing)

With most mandrels going for $20 - $30, you can save a significant chunk of change by getting just one mandrel rather than three and chances are that you will have no compatibility problem whatsoever.

TomServo

Berea also makes their "b" mandrel with a 1/4"-28 thread to fit most threaded mandrel holders - if you call them, they have a greater variety of mandrels than their catalog mentions. Two sizes, but different lengths and attachment methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom