Little help w/ pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscm1

I am fairly new to this so please bare with me! So far all I have made are slimline pens. What other types of pen are there that only require one drill bit and no tapering. I am taking baby steps here! I have seen pens with seperate caps that are bigger than slimlines but look pretty straight forward and easy to make. would these pens be my next step up? Also what type of pen is it? Sorry for all the dumb questions!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Hi,

For starters..I'll recommend that you look at the Cigar kits.
Not too sure what you meant by one drill bit but I am assuming one straight per barrel because of the tapering issue. In that case you might want to check the Baron from Arizona Silhouette too. They are really nice with wide plating selection and pretty reasonably priced...compared to CSUSA equivalent. I will highly recommend the Chrome plated ones (biggest bang for the buck IMHO)

Note that most kits will most likely need a new set of bushings, drill bits and you might also need another mandrel (the "B" mandrel). With the different sized bits...you will also need to adapt your pen mill (assuming you are using one). Most here (me included) made our own "shim".

I don't want to over load you with info but it is tough to start and leave the other details.

Maybe your best bet is to look at Russ' site for now.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html

By the way...WELCOME TO IAP!!!

EdwinSSIV

You might try the European style pens. You need a different set of bushings but can use your 7mm drill bit and 7mm barrel trimmer for them. They were the second style of pens that I made. I am now turning cigar pens, as well, which you will need to get a different size drill bit, barrel trimmer and bushings for.

arioux

Hi,

Wellcome to IAP,

Cigar pen would be a good choice for your next step (for me it was). It is easy to do, not very expensive (less than $3.00 at AS) and a nice choice of plating too.

Dario gave you a very nice link to visit. I learned so much from this site. Explore the possibilities of the slim line kit as described by Russ Fairfield and you will discover a completly new world.

Most of all, have fun[:)]

Alfred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom