A little help please.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

huntingmaxima

I am as green as they come folks so please be patient.

What I want is to know is, what I need to start turning out pens. There is so much stuff available out there that I just want the info from you guys, instead of buy crap and not using it.

Simpler the better for now. Like those slimline pen.

Thanks much.

Remember, I am a retired bricklayer so talk slow!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Welcome from Colorado. Just starting out I would suggest a class at a store like Woodcraft or visit a local wood turning club near you. I am sure there are other IAP members near you that could show you their setup and offer tips. For just pens a mini lathe should do and a few basic turning tools. We all started out stumbling thru the process, good luck. Please post a picture of your first pen.

greenacres2

Welcome from NW Indiana. The links provided by others above will provide good answers to your questions. I'll add the following:

If you can turn Slimlines, you can turn any pen there is!! Oddly enough the two most common "beginner" styles, Slimline and Sierra, leave the least amount of material at the ends of the blanks when you turn them--now that I do several other types of pens most of the time, I find I have to re-learn how to turn those two. You may want to try a few Cigar pens as well. Hardware kits are a little more money than slims, but there is plenty of thickness at the ends so the turning is actually more forgiving (to me) than Slimlines.

You can do this, and definitely post pics of your first pen!! During your first 3 months as a member, there are some drawings for posting pictures in the Show Off Your Pens section--free stuff is good!!

Best wishes!!
earl

Woodchipper

Credit card with a high limit and a tolerant significant other. Then you go from there. Good info in the previous posts. Welcome and have fun!

Top Bottom