A little help on my lathe(a little OT)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

This is for anyone who uses a Jet 1442, Fred if you see this maybe you have the answer
Recently the speed adjustment handle became loose and started slipping out along the shaft that goes into the speed adjustment mechanism. apparently the set screw that locks the handle to the shaft got loose. I tried to loosen the set screw some more, push the handle back on the shaft to re-tighten the screw. When I pushed the handle back on, the shaft would also push back into the headstock housing. I could never get the handle pushed on without this happening. There is very little space to get anything in there to hold the shaft plus the handle would not push all the way on even if I could do that. The whole problem seems to be the set screw gets loose. Is this a common problem with these lathes? The manual has nothing at all concerning the speed adjust mechanism so I don't know how much I could do trying to get into that to hold the shaft in place. It is getting to the point it is interfering with speed changes to the point of not making them when I move the handle. I have emailed Jet Tools but no answer so far.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

lkorn

I don't use the JET but have you tried using a drop of "Locktite" on the threads? This would prevent the setscrew from backing out due to vibration. Just nake sure that you get the kind that is temporary ( until you want to remove it). Some versions of Locktite can be rather permanent, like an epoxy.

Originally posted by jimr
<br />This is for anyone who uses a Jet 1442
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom