A little different approach to squaring pen blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Here is a way I came up with. Some of you have probably already figured this out and if so, just ignore my miandering.

Using a face plate with plywood mounted on it and the hook part of hook&loop material stuck to the face (available as peel and stick from Klingspor) attach a piece of sandpaper to it in 100 or 150 grit. Install the drill chuck in the tail stock and insert the appropriate size transfer punch from the 28 pc set available from HF. Mount the face plate on the drive end, slide the pen blank onto the transfer punch and, with the lathe running slowly, slide the blank up to the spinning sandpaper and it will square the blank. I use the larger piece of H&L paper so I can reposition it to a fresh part until it is used up.
HTH
WB

Attachments

• 8 x.jpg
    8 x.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 8 xx.jpg
    8 xx.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 227
  • 8 y.jpg
    8 y.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 8 z.jpg
    8 z.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 211

Quality Pen

Good method!

I had an old Black and Decker Mouse (terrible product do not buy!) And used the pad portion of that just like you have. It's fantastic and I couldn't recommend it enough.

If you're still using barrel trimmers that go on drills, do yourself a favor and take Wood Butcher's post to heart!

TonyL

Rick Herrell makes a high quality device to make this process even better. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom