Lipstick pen problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

I searched and noticed that a fair number of people have made these pens from PSI, but I didn't notice anyone having my issue.

The mini refill, when fully placed, is sticking out too far. I know women say size doesn't matter but this is a bit too much. This has happened on 3 different kits.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can I shorten the refill by an 1/8" if I'm just giving them to family? I obviously can sell these like that but I'd at least like SOMEone to be able to use them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

I made a run of these. It was a bit difficult to seat a few of them, and required extra effort to get them fully seated.

I bent one refill pushing so hard, and it just will not go any further.
icon_scratch_head.gif

KenV

Check the lengths of the refills before and after seating. Chreck that the holdet is properly seated.

Is over trimming the tubes a possibility

Wingdoctor

If you are sure you need to shorten the mini refill, it can be done. I shorten them for a pocket cartridge pen I make when I use 30/30 brass. Just gently grind the end to the length you need and use a fine file to deburr the OD. I have shortened 50 or more without any problems.

Jim Smith

I've made a number of these pens and when that happens, it's the result of the small "refil holder' not being fully seated all the way into the base of the pen. Try taking the pen apart. Then, take a steel rod that fits into the barrel and try to press it in further. I use my pen press for this operation and it has solved the issue ever time. Go very slowly and apply pressure very slowly!!!

Jim Smith

eliasbboy

Check the lengths of the refills before and after seating. Chreck that the holdet is properly seated.

Is over trimming the tubes a possibility

I have a small ringing in my head that tells me this is what I did.

If you are sure you need to shorten the mini refill, it can be done. I shorten them for a pocket cartridge pen I make when I use 30/30 brass. Just gently grind the end to the length you need and use a fine file to deburr the OD. I have shortened 50 or more without any problems.

Excellent to know! Thanks so much!

I've made a number of these pens and when that happens, it's the result of the small "refil holder' not being fully seated all the way into the base of the pen. Try taking the pen apart. Then, take a steel rod that fits into the barrel and try to press it in further. I use my pen press for this operation and it has solved the issue ever time. Go very slowly and apply pressure very slowly!!!

Jim Smith

Ahhh...This puts my mind at ease. I'd have to bet that is indeed the issue. I'll follow your fix first thing in the morning. Thanks VERY much!

nava1uni

I have found that the holder for the smaller cartridge pens often needs to have the threaded piece smoothed out with a tiny rod so that the refill seats fully. Then once the holder is completely threaded into the bottom piece it will extend the proper amount.

Top Bottom