lining up nib issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I can't figure out if I'm just coffee deprived or what, but I can't get a fountain pen nib lined up correctly.

The nib will always line up with the blank part of the wood, no matter which part I start it on...I turn and it always seats on the boring side...

Anything I can do, short of getting a tap and die set?

Am I going crazy, or is this normal?

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

Normal, if you weren't careful during assembly.

nib holders and sections are typically single-start threads.... if you want to line it up in some way with the barrel, you'll need to disassemble the pen and check alignment before pressing in the section adapter.

i.e., after disassembly, install the nib and front section onto the section adapter, and gently seat the adapter into the tube by hand with everything lined up as you want it. Then carefully unscrew the section, keeping the adapter in place.... then press the adapter fully in. A small piece of masking tape or putty can be used to aid in alignment during this process.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This leads to another question!

Joe, if I put the nib in and line up the "front end" using a fountain pen, the press in the coupler, will that ALWAYS line up with ANY screw in front section?

Or, stated differently, do all the nibs start their threads at the same point, relative to the actual nib orientation? Or, (same question, different words) are front sections interchangeable

turbowagon

This leads to another question!

Joe, if I put the nib in and line up the "front end" using a fountain pen, the press in the coupler, will that ALWAYS line up with ANY screw in front section?

Or, stated differently, do all the nibs start their threads at the same point, relative to the actual nib orientation? Or, (same question, different words) are front sections interchangeable

No they are not... while #6 Dayalcom, 14K Bock, and Meister nibs are all compatible, they don't all end up in the same orientation after being seated. Not even sure if multiple nib holders from the same manufacturer are all lined up, but I can test later tonight and get back to you.

OKLAHOMAN

The feed and housings on the Jr. series can be exchanged and will line up but the sections will not. I have always lined up my nibs on the postable pens so the clip and the nib line up. I can interchange the feeds and housings and they line up but the sections do not line up . Also remember that when lining up the nib with the clip that it's a triple start and it will only line up on one of the start treads. I fount the above true on all the Jr. series and the emperor and full sized Statesman and Gents.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF I understand correctly then, IF I want to have a convertible pen, I would have to line up the nib, and build the pen. Now, I COULD display it as a rollerball, but if they buy the pen I should be certain to sell the "front section" that I originally used to assemble the pen.

(I always made fountains and carried rollerball front ends as the option. I'm really trying to see if you COULD just "slap on any old fountain front end" of the same make and model of pen and have it line up---sounds like NO!!)

OKLAHOMAN

Your right it's a no, you just can't slap on any section and make it line up you have to us the section you made with the pen, That's why I did the same and made them as fountains and carried rollerball section to convert them. i

76winger

The feed and housings on the Jr. series can be exchanged and will line up but the sections will not. I have always lined up my nibs on the postable pens so the clip and the nib line up. I can interchange the feeds and housings and they line up but the sections do not line up . Also remember that when lining up the nib with the clip that it's a triple start and it will only line up on one of the start treads. I fount the above true on all the Jr. series and the emperor and full sized Statesman and Gents.

I've used this same technique on the Majestics, Sceptres, Art Decos, etc. and it works out well. I think I saw you post this info once before a year or two ago, and every fountain pen I've made since has been made with the clip & nib lined up and same for posting on the back end when applicable. It's a great bit of attention to detail that is worth the extra bit of effort.

Top Bottom