Lining up the grain....questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I need some help from the collective mind. I say darbytee's recent post of a good looking BOW Jr Gent and one of the comments brought up aliging the grain on these screw tops.

I am starting a bunch of baron fountain and rollerball pens. I had trouble on my first one getting the grain to line up. What secrets are hiding out there to help me...I mean us?

dougle40

The method that I use is to screw the fitting onto the pen , then put the wood on and line up the grain . Once it's all lined up set the pen on a protected surface (I use a rubber pad) and give it a small tap on top with a rubber hammer then unscrew the top with the screw section and then go about your normal assembly routine .

SoCalSteve

I use a method similar to Doug's method. I put the cap together and then screw the threaded coupler into the center band coupler. Then line up the grain pattern and using the pen press, gently press the lower barrel onto the coupler so that it just holds in place on its own. Seperate the two couplers and finish pressing the pen together.

I always try to be as gentle as possible and even screw the nib into the threaded coupler just to give a little more meat to the assembly. Don't want to screw up the threads. That's always a bad time to ruin a pen.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom