Lining up grain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

I did a Baron with a inlay running from top to bottom. I completed the top section first, then screwed on a coupler and inserted it 'somewhat' into the bottom tube making sure the inlay and grain lined up on top and bottom sections. I carefully unscrewed the top section then pressed the coupler into the bottom tube, repeating this operation on the other end of bottom. When all was finished and everything epoxied, I put it together and both ends are about 1/8" past target. In other words the pen is no @#{+%<# good!. Is there a better way to do this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

For me the best way to align cap and body is as follows:
assemble completely the pen body (the part you write with). Then screw on the cap-coupler part of the cap (I mean the completed assembly here, metal part plus the centerband rings plus the plastic threaded part) make sure it's all screwed on to the nib section. Now align the top barrel with the pen body and light press the parts together. Carefully unscrew the the two parts and press the coupler/centerband assembly in completely. This way for is more safe than anything else.

rherrell

While unscrewing keep pressure on the two halves,when completely unscrewed you will feel little "clicks". After each click screw it back down and it should have moved a little. If you're REAL lucky this will work.

Originally posted by rherrell
<br />While unscrewing keep pressure on the two halves,when completely unscrewed you will feel little "clicks". After each click screw it back down and it should have moved a little. If you're REAL lucky this will work.

I think that there are 5 thread starting points on the Barron. It it does not line up, just keep unscrewing it and backing it off one click at a time.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The little black threaded insert WILL "freewheel" in the centerband.

When you line everything up, as you disassemble to press fit the pieces in place, make sure you don't turn the "cap", instead turn the centerband and be careful with the "cap" so it's relative position does not change.

Also, if you are positioning the ends of the body, when you press fit them, they can go slightly deeper than the "test" position, thus making the threads a smidge shorter and backing off your whole assembly about an eighth of a turn, then NOTHING lines up right. If you can push the end out a little, all is well.

Hope this helps, all these tidbits were relayed to me by the dumba$$ that DID them. I, of course, have NEVER experienced ANY of these conditions - I am just an avid student of methods of failure.[;)][;)][;)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom