Lining up the grain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Is it even possible on the Premium Classic & Classic PSI kits? Is there a trick? I thought that the only thing I could do would be to move the thingy that the upper blank screws on to. However, I couldn't thing of anything I could use to grab it that wouldn't damage the threads.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Shoot, I've never done either of those kits, so I'm of no help. Sounds like you got them together already? I was having fits trying to line up my first Baron a while back, following the instructions, I loosely assembled the threaded part on the cap, lined everything up, then pressed them together. It wasn't until I'd nearly destroyed the pen that I read somewhere that there's more than one thread 'entry point' on the threads, so all I needed to do was unscrew it past the point where it went together, and continue around until I found the point where when I screwed it all the way on, the threads lined up.

Does this help with that kit you're using? Hopefully it makes sense. Gah, that's a hard thing to explain. Keep unscrewing it after it comes loose, and see how many 'entry points' the kit has. Entry points meaning the place where the threads come together and 'grab'. If there's more than one, it'll be hard to line up the grain unless you find the right one.

Did I say that right? Phoof. [B)]

airrat

Ruth on caps like that what I usually do is:

Put the cap together,
screw the nib on the part it goes to (before pressing it into the lower barrel),
now screw the nib into the cap,
take your lower barrel and by hand lightly put it on the part that needs to be pressed into it, making sure the grain is lined up.
Then keeping the bottom barrel on so you don't lose your grain orientation, unscrew it from the cap and remove the nib. Yes this is the hard part. If you can do it without the nib it is easier, I just have not done that kit before.

Press in that part into the lower barrel. If you are wanting to do the same for the other end of the lower barrel, you can follow the same steps,

hope this might help you.

pssherman

Tom,

Another way to do this without the problem of the nib is to fully assemble the lower tube then screw the fitting that goes in the cap onto the nib end. Line up the grain with the top barrel, carefully unscrew the parts and then press the fitting into the cap. This way you don't have to try to remove the nib to do the press fit.

Paul in AR

Top Bottom