Line Burning Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I use some picture frame wire for burning lines in my pens. I wanted a smaller line so I unravelled another section of wire (it was 4-5 wires per strand) and when I used a single wire it heated up and broke without leaving a burned line. [}:)] Are there other trick to getting bigger/smaller burned lines?

You can see some of the lines in the pic below.

Image Insert:
20051174566_DSC01664.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Travlr7

After burning my fingers with a wire without an insulator, I started using a nail. I have several I use. I drive the nail into a handle, then put it up to a grinder to put the profile on it I want. I lay the nail against the piece so that it is turning AWAY FROM the point.
Basically that means have the point facing you and press it into the grove on the top edge of turning.

Bruce[;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think we have two distinct methods being used. I happen to use both from time to time.

With a nail, I can use it as a tiny gouge or I can slip the nail inder the blank for a pure burn without gouging.

As for wire, I use guitar strings (broken, of course) that are wrapped around dowels. It's cheap, efficient and won't get your fingers burned. Also, you can get very different burn widths from the 6 different gauges of string.

Gary

I use some piano wire I've collected. Like you say, wrap each end around a piece of dowel or other wood. It isn't all that complicated.

dougle40

Try using guitar strings , the stranded or wound type . That's what I've been using . You can get them in 3 different sizes and they're long enough to hold by hand without getting burned .

btboone

Craft stores have a battery powered hot wire for Snow Foam, that open celled styrene stuff that is used for setting fake plants. It's the white or green foam that comes in sheets or cones. The wire gets plenty hot, and may work well here.

woodscavenger

I use the skew as well to initially define the spot especially on sloped areas. I am going to call my local piano tuner to beg for scrap wire. Woodscavenger becomes wirescavenger. It's a true burden being cheap.

G

For thin lines I use the stuff like bread ties,you can get rolls of it at the Dollar store used for garden ties.
It will break with too much pressure that's why I but it in rolls.
Twist around 2 dowels, or in my case a couple of corian blanks that had bad glue lines.
Strip the paper off the wire first.
I like to use the tip of the skew to give me a groove to get me started.

Rifleman1776

I use a hunk of soft black wire, no insulators. El Cheapo me. Why buy something so simple? Avoid copper, heats too quickly and will burn you without insulators. Experiment with stuff lying around the house. On small items like pens, be cautious, it is very easy to burn right through the work. I don't burn lines on my pens but I do on my duck calls. I believe the effect is more pronounced on larger items.

woodscavenger

I like to add the lines near the grip especially with some of the woods that polish so well they nearly become slippery. Personally I am able to write with the pen without it slipping so much. Thanks for your info. I like the ideas about the twisties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom