Lilac???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Yea, I have done a couple. Very fine lines due to the small growth rings. The layers are multi colored and very purplish in the heart wood. You have to be carefull with the heartwood. There is a center "soft section" and the wood loves to crack around this. If you wax or paint the ends go a couple inches up the blank as well. It is kinda like holly as it is trickey to keep clean. Curves look great due to the thin growth lines.

BigRob777

I wonder, do the purple lines turn brown over time? I've often wanted to make something out of lilac. My son told me about a pile of it, but nothing ever came of it. I've seen some of the wood, when it was just finished and it's beautiful, but the lines are thin, as Lee has mentioned. I wish I had an answer for you.
Rob

KenV

Nice look to it. Thin CA may be needed to turn the more punky center of some branches. Well worth the work for the marbled grain patterns. Some old branches get quite large. The stuff I have is up to 2 inch diameter with some spalt/rot.

Rochester

I have turned several pens made from the lilac in my backyard. You never know what is inside until you turn it. The purple and brown lines may go all the way through or may stop a half inch in. The crotches of larger branches and places where old limbs have been pruned have some very interesting character.

DocRon

I have turned several lilac pens and bottle stoppers. I don't know about the longevity of the color. I echo the comments about splitting, however.
There is a picture of one of them in my photo album.
Ron

bjackman

I've turned quite a few lilac pens. My favorite combination, as shown in this link, is with a pink acrylester cb.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=420&cid=436&page=3#

I had the chance a few weeks ago to view and handle a lilac pen made more than 2 years ago and in daily use by the buyer, and the color has not changed with time in that pen.
It's one of my favorite woods to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom