Lilac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bedangerous

Had to prune old wood from an old lilac tree today. I was surprised by how much purple is in the wood looking forward to seeing how the pens come out.

Attachments

• image-4240465262.jpg
    image-4240465262.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I have a couple lilac trees in my yard that I've turned pens from. It's a very nice easy turning wood with lots of character. One problem is it cracks a lot when drying so if you haven't sealed the ends yets, I would do so soon. It has a tendency to crack spirally around the limb, making it hard to get usable pieces. The purple will really stand out against that light sap wood. Good luck!

Upon closer look, looks like you have the sealer part covered. lol Looking forward to seeing a finished pen posted when you get one done.

Last edited:
Gorgeous wood! I can see my mom's eyes bulging out if her head if saw that purple in there. Just like in the old cartoons, with little hearts floating above her head. :)

scotirish

JohnU is correct, it cracks. :mad::mad: I made a pencil from some French Lilac I have in my backyard. All was well for about eight months, then it cracked! :frown::frown: Still use the pencil even with the crack.
Ron

Top Bottom